Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • batting, thick or thin? >
  • batting, thick or thin?

• batting, thick or thin?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:09 AM

I have used Warm & Natural, Hobbs 80/20, Hobbs 80/20 fusible, and Hobbs wool Batting. If you quilt the Warm & Natural very densely it becomes stiffer with not as much drape - OK for a quilt but not if you were making quilted wearables. I bought an entire roll of Hobbs Wool Batting and used it until it was gone. It has greater loft than the Hobbs 80/20 or the Warm & Natural. I love the feel of it. If quilted densely it remains drapeable. Also as someone mentioned before it does not keep creases. My only complaints about it are that I seem to get more shifting while quilting. I quilt on my domestic sewing machine. Because of the greater loft of the wool batting I have to pin baste much closer together to prevent the shifting.

From an overall ease of use I prefer the Hobbs 80/20 fusible batting. I press to fuse in place. If I know that it is something I can quilt fairly quickly then pressing is all I do. If it will take me longer to quilt (due to quilt size or busy life) then I will also add some pin basting. But in that case I do not have to baste as close together.
    Old 12-09-2011, 04:44 AM

I think that like everything else I have been buying lately, batting has decreased in thickness, but increased in price!!!!
    I personally like Warm & Natural for quilts, but even it is thinner than it used to be............so another deception.