Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one getting nothing done? >

Am I the only one getting nothing done?

Am I the only one getting nothing done?

Old 02-08-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by almond View Post
I retired last April. I was a bit lost at 1st. Now I am so busy sewing, camping, traveling, ballgames & just doing nothing.Life is busier then ever before. I LOVE IT!!!!! Take a break, there is a lot of stress with retiring.
Stress as: Will there be enough money? Will I get bored? Will I get Lazy? Will I have enough structure? Sure all these things as going thru your mind. Take each day as is comes and remember today is the first day of the rest of your life!!!
Great advice. Give yourself a break.

Annie
Old 02-08-2012, 02:26 PM

I'm getting nothing done in the past few days due to illness. My guess is that you overdid it and now you are suffering the long-term post-holiday blahs. Give yourself a break. You will be retired very soon. Enjoy doing something else for a month or so other than the needed project. Keeping a moratorium when you are unmotivated is a HUGE deal - good for you!!
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded. My problem was right in front of my face but I couldn't see it. I have a huge life change coming up and it's no wonder I'm so out of sorts. I so appreciate everyone's insight and support. You folks are the best!
Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM

Just remember to keep your eye on the prize! All that time that you can do what you choose. No one giving you tasks but yourself. You will have plenty to do. The big life change coming up is going to be wonderful. Plan on keeping in touch with some of those favorite co-workers with an occasional lunch or something. Happy Retirement! Well deserved I'm sure!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 PM

I retired almost 5 years ago and was exhausted and worn out at the time. I was driving about 2 1/2 hours each day. I rested for a couple of weeks and jumped into a very busy schedule. I was involved in so many groups and doing all kinds of projects. Over the last 6 mos. or so, I had to force myself to do anything or get anything done. I had reached a point where I didn't even feel strong enough to drive. I finally realized it may be my thyroid and started homeopathic therapy for it about 3 weeks ago. Also have always been anemic over the course of my life and am taking iron supplement as well. Within the last 2 weeks have I started feeling like my old self when I could get up early and stay up late and get many things accomplished. Still not totally back where I need to be but am looking forward to get back totally!!
Hopefully you are just in a "slump" and no other problems going on. But if it lingers, don't wait like I did and thought it was a part of just getting older. Go for a checkup!!! God bless...
Old 02-09-2012, 04:52 AM

Well, there are other things that need attention in our lives. Our own health, for instance. Tax time, dusting winter away, rearranging a multitude of items, "letter writing" almost a thing of the past but a gracious thing to do. Sometimes all the things that need to be done outside of quilting wear the mind down. If you take care of them you will free yourself from that burden.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:05 AM

Dear SouthP
I think it may have to do with all kinds of combined worry especially from retiring. Been there-done that. I spent a fair whack of time before I retired thinking about it after counselling co-workers that were having a very hard time coming up their retirement. What I realized was that you study for years to get a job or jobs, work for 35 years and and then are thrown off the cliff without a parachute. Or so it seems. Accept that all that is going on in you is normal. You are going to feel anxious, worried about money, about how you will fill your time. It is all normal. Forgive yourself. A few months after retirement you will wonder where you ever found the time to work. Cheers.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:14 AM

I am sew with you. the slump seems bottomless. have been in n out of it myself, i got a quilt top done tuesday, but
really didnt feel like I accomplished anything. Even working at a quilt shop, sometimes theres no motivation.
katz
Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 AM

It is hard to find the right thing to get you going again. I have tried various items and have way to many UFO's. Working to try and eliminate a few before going on so I do not get into the slumps even farther.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 AM

It is not quilting it is the changes you see in your life. Retirement alone is enough to put in a slump. It represents total change. Get thru March and the sun will come thru again and you will be getting things done like you never thought you could. We humans do take well to change and your job was security. Just be patient.