Whitney Houston

Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 AM

I, frankly, did not like her singing and feel that many of the younger singers try to imitate her instead of developing their own style. However, I am saddened that yet another person has succumbed to drugs in a country that is supposed to be the leader of the free world. If we are the best and brightest, why is the money being spent on incarceration, instead of taking away the incentive to sell these awful drugs? There has to be a better answer to this problem. Millions of people are grieving for Whitney and her daughter and themselves because they have lost a beloved entertainer. How many others died that same day for the same reason that we do not know about? There has to be a better answer. But our politicians are to busy getting re-elected.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
[SIZE=3]

A friend of mine posted this... I couldn't agree more..
I take exception with the characterization that she was not able to be a good person. She had an ILLNESS - that is what addiction is, an ILLNESS. You would not say she was a bad person if she had cancer. Yes, she made some poor life choices, but that does not diminish her value as a human being or the contribution she made to music with her incredible talent.

May she rest in peace and may her family find the support and strength they need at this difficult time.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 AM

RIP Whitney.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 AM

I loved her voice. It broke my heart that another talented singer died from drugs.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 AM

Another tragic loss of a gifted person to their addictions. There are far too many talented famous people passing away because of drugs and alchohol all over the world. What an utter waste of such a voice - we have lost far too many stars recently. I pray for them all.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

How could anyone choose to start using drugs? I have two family members that made that choice.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 AM

What a wonderful tribute Jennifer Hudson did last night on the Grammys. So sad for Bobbi Kristina and the rest of the family. Prayers are being sent.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
I take exception with the characterization that she was not able to be a good person. She had an ILLNESS - that is what addiction is, an ILLNESS. You would not say she was a bad person if she had cancer. Yes, she made some poor life choices, but that does not diminish her value as a human being or the contribution she made to music with her incredible talent.

May she rest in peace and may her family find the support and strength they need at this difficult time.
I am going to quote something that a friend of mine put on Facebook. I am quoting her because she said it so well.

"How does drug addiction start? Are you born that way, is it in your DNA? Like Leukemia? Where there is nothing you can do to prevent it from occurring... that is a disease. To have knowledge of what drugs will do and make a conscious decision to start using drugs as recreation and subsequently become addicted, that is a choice. To call it a disease and say that they had no control in their own addiction is an excuse. Day one when they decided to start using was free will, not a disease like cancer. Over the years I have watched sooooooo many good people die of disease, they had no choice, they lived life honest, true & clean. To say drug addiction is a disease and people who have it, is through no fault of their own... is an insult."

I will acknowledge that Whitney was very talented, I will acknowledge that she loved her daughter, and was loved in return by her family. But let's also acknowledge that this most likely would not have happened had she made the right choices. It was preventable, and many illnesses are not.

P.S. The reference my friend made to people dying through no fault of their own is a reference to friends/co-workers who have developed many illnesses after being first responders to 9-11.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

. I too have had family members that chose drugs over everyone and every thing, and family member that died from cancer before their time. Do not ever tell me being addicted to drugs is a disease. Drugs are a choice someone picks as a way they want to die. I'm very sad that so many talented and loved people choose drugs over life.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:10 PM

I am so saddened by her passing and the tragic loss her family has to deal with, but I do agree she made a choice, even choices, that sadly dictated this untimely death. This does not make her a bad person - Just cannot understand why so many others cannot learn from this happening over and over again.