Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt Labels >
  • Quilt Labels

• Quilt Labels

Old 06-06-2012, 04:10 AM

What is Pping?
    Old 06-06-2012, 04:13 AM

I use Microsoft Publisher. I typically make them 2"x4". Print them on Printed Treasures fabric. I have tried other types of printer fabric, but they faded badly when washed. Printed Treasures seems to be the best. I bought a book of labels, scanned them, colored them in PhotoSuite. I add name of the quilt pattern, for whom (if there is a specific recipient), my name, where I live (city and state), date (month and year) and a graphic that compliments the quilt top. Two sides are stitched into the border and the other two are hand stitched (that way I only need to sew down 2 sides - I hate hand stitching). I've attached a couple of labels that I have done. These two labels were made for quilts that my niece made. The rubber ducky was scanned from the fabric, tweaked and saved as a jpg. The larger one was scanned from the label book and colored in PhotoSuite.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]340162[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]340163[/ATTACH]
    Dolly in MI
    Attached Thumbnails krissys-rubber-ducky-label.jpg   krissy-mackenze-quilt.jpg  
    Old 06-06-2012, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Drue
    I use my HV,SE...and embroider them and make them like "patches" and then hand stitch them on.
    Stupid question, but what is HV, SE?
    Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 AM

There are books with different labels you can iron on and embroider over. That's what I do. I'm afraid over time the pens and printer ink will fade. I actually like hand work!
    Old 06-06-2012, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I usually design the label in EQ7 and then print it onto fabric. With EQ it's easy to print blocks on the label (as a border usually) that match the blocks on the quilt. I can also download photos into the label, so it's very personalized.

Becca - using the printer to print on fabric doesn't give you a papery label at all.
    I'd love to know what you do with your fabric to prepare it for printing on.

I create my label design in Photoshop, print it on paper, trace it onto a piece of fabric, hand embroider over the printing, then blanket stitch it onto the quilt.
    Old 06-06-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by anita211
    I write directly on the backing with a pigma pen. I heard a woman on a bus telling somebody that she had been given a quilt and that she took off the quilt label. She saved the name of the quilt... and then put her own name on it! How crappy is that? I used to cross stitch them, or occasionally write the information neatly on a scrap and then put it on the back. Most of my quilts go to family members, so I am not worried about having anybody take the labels off, but...

AHA!! This is exactly the reason I like to put my labels on and then quilt over them! No one can clip the threads and remove w/o messing up the quilting.
    Old 06-06-2012, 07:50 AM

Leisure Arts has a book of labels that you iron on, use muslin or a nice piece of neutral scrap material. Then I use a Sharpie to personalize it, use bias tape to create a frame and sew it on my quilt. So far this has served me well. Also have printed labels on muslin or poplin and that gives a beautiful label also.
    Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 AM

http://www.junetailor.com/Creativity...uiltLabels.htm I've used these - enter the info then print.
    Old 06-06-2012, 08:02 AM

I use my Hallmark program sometimes and I use a photo editing program I have that makes labels...then I print them on the photo fabric. I use an Epson printer that seems to be ok for it. I hear that the ink makes the difference. I usually make 2" x 4" labels, but you can make any size you want.
    Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 AM

Create your label in your word processor. Then get some fabric meant to be used with inkjet printers and print your label on this. You can also create your own fabric by using BubbleJetSet or similar product, then ironing the fabric onto freezer paper before putting it in your printer. I haven't tried this myself, but it works for others.