Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I just learned to sew, do you think this pattern can be done on a regular machine? >

I just learned to sew, do you think this pattern can be done on a regular machine?

I just learned to sew, do you think this pattern can be done on a regular machine?

Old 08-01-2012, 02:45 AM

yes for sure. Believe it or not you can sew and quilt any quilt on a regular machine if you have the patience. Good luck
Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 AM

This is a nice, beginner project as it is all straight sewing. The more difficlt bit could be in the quilting but this quilt lends itself to just doing straight lines across the quilt, vertically and horizontally. You could jazz it up by using a serpentine stitch or a fancy stitch to do the lines. I would suggest that you don't try to stitch in the ditch for this quilt but just sew evenly spaced lines across and down the quilt to keep it together. (Stitch in the ditch is where you sew along the seam lines and it can be hard for a beginner sewer to do that neatly). You will get a more funky result with the other stitching. It is also best to get a walking foot to do the quilting with. This sort of foot feeds the top and bottom materials in evenly, whereas if you use an ordinary foot the bottom layer will go quickly and the top player will tend to bunch up. Happy sewing.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:34 AM

It says FABRIC requirements...alot of patterns don't mention the batting. I guess they feel it is assumed. You go girl this is a great beginner pattern. You most certainly can do it!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:55 AM

Yes, you can do this. Good luck. You will be soooo proud of yourself when you are done. Be sure to come back here if you have any questions while making your quilt. Everyone here loves to help.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:08 AM

I have made this quilt on my regular sewing machine, and yes you do use batting. I will try to post a picture. It is very easy to make. She has alot of beautiful patterns, I own a few of them
Old 08-01-2012, 04:23 AM

Agree with everyone - no reason why you can't make this quilt top start to finish! Will take a little practice for the free motion quilting if you decide to quilt the top yourself after you have pieced it - but there are many who free motion quilt on their smaller domestic machines (I am one of them!). Or you can take it to someone to do that part for you while you practice that skill for future quilts.

Good luck!! Be sure to post a picture of your top when finished.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 AM

Yes you can. And a good one to start with. Welcome to the board.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:44 AM

If you use Jelly Rolls check to see how many strips are in each one. There are some that have 24 and other thats do approx 42. What a great pattern, cant wait to see the finished result.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:47 AM

I would say absolutely. This would be a good starting point for you to use with your machine. Have fun, take a big breath and relax. Also practice on some small sandwiches before you start work on your own quilt. You will get better and better as time passes. I have and I still have much to learn but I do quilts of that size on my regular run-of-the-mill machine with few problems just a little planning.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:05 AM

The only thing that might make this pattern tricking is matching up the border fabrics with the correct fabric in the main part of the top. You noght consider making the center strips longer and then having no wide border only thin borders and binding. Yes this can be sewen on a regular machine