Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing Batting >

Piecing Batting

Piecing Batting

Old 03-22-2013, 01:26 AM

I also piece my scraps together by butting the edges and zigzag stitch, I've used it in dozens of quilts...no one but you know after it's finished. I don't quilt for profit I give all mine away.I do this cause it's fun and saves my sanity....so I have to be thrifty since I do give them away.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:48 AM

Exactly how I feel as Alwayslearning wrote :
To me, it is not even that batting is too expensive to waste. I feel wasting anything is wrong and I try not to take anything for granted. We live in a beautiful world with limited resources
I do it all the time. Once quilted it is like the rest of the quilt.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:23 AM

I piece whenever necessary to get the size I need.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:41 AM

I do it all the time. I call it Frankenbatting. It's become an obsession!!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:00 AM

Wasn't the objective of quilting long ago about being imaginative & thrifty? If need be I piece my batting, either by zigzagging it or using the fusible tape. I don't find a problem with either method.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 AM

Haven't done it on a quilt yet but have done it on bags. I don't join it. I just plan it to come up to a line I'm going to quilt along, sort of like quilt-as-you-go. It's never gone anywhere.

If you don't like joins and have lots of scraps, gift them to someone who makes bags or soft toys! I love finding small pieces of batting in my stash, always an inspiration to make something .
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning View Post
To me, it is not even that batting is too expensive to waste. I feel wasting anything is wrong and I try not to take anything for granted. We live in a beautiful world with limited resources. Besides, who is going to see if I make a mistake sewing batting?
So true! I piece my batting all the time. It does not show, and I dare anyone to be able to tell where it was pieced after the quilting is done. Here's a tip I can pass on: when I have scraps of batting I trim the edges square, then measure and fold the piece. I write the measurements on a small brightly colored sticker ( like you use for yard sales) and place it on the lower right edge of the folded batting. I then store all the pieces in a big plastic tub with the folded edges on the same side. When I need a piece of batting for a table runner or placemat I can just thumb through the folded edges and look for a measurement that's close to what I need. Same thing with piecing 2 or 3 larger pieces. I can pull out the pieces that, when combined, will give me the size I need. A giant zig-zag seam later, I have "free" batting!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 AM

I always piece my left overs, why throw them out or give them away. Use in a quilt, table runner, hot pads, wherever!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:16 AM

I try to use the same type of batting for most quilts. I save the scraps and piece them into other batting when necessary. I square the edge of the pieces and mark their size when storing them. I purchased tricot fusible interfacing by the yard (I think it was 60" wide. Then I cut it into 1.5 inch strip using my rotary cutter and mat. That was a huge savings-in fact, I packaged it up in baggies and shared with my quilting friends.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:20 AM

What is batting tape?