Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Here's a tip for using jelly rolls >

Here's a tip for using jelly rolls

Here's a tip for using jelly rolls

Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 AM

I will never buy another Jelly Roll with pinked edges. I just finished sewing strip for a class I am taking and we were to cuthme in half having two 1 1/4 strips and with the pinked edges the strips were wider than 2 1/2" and I didn't trim them before sewing and many of the strips are off.
Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
The pinked edges drive me nuts. I think next time I use pre-cuts, I'm going to cut off the pinked edges. I just never know where the edge of the fabric truly is.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:49 AM

Trimming off the pinking is going to make your block too small. Do a test first before you cut the whole lot of strips.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 AM

Is it me or does that defeat the purpose of having them pre-cut if you have to cut them? I must note be seeing the big picture...

I am getting arthritis in my non-dominant thumb and holding the ruler down hurts every time. I was considering trying pre-cuts to avoid the pain.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for tip.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:24 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Just a tip: Before you open your jelly roll, run a lint roller over each end a few times to pick up all the little pieces of fabric. It makes all the difference in the mess jelly rolls make after opening them.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by sguillot View Post
I will never buy another Jelly Roll with pinked edges. I just finished sewing strip for a class I am taking and we were to cuthme in half having two 1 1/4 strips and with the pinked edges the strips were wider than 2 1/2" and I didn't trim them before sewing and many of the strips are off.
So help me out. (Never used a jelly roll). Why not just cut 2 1/2 strips of fabric rather than pay extra for pre-cut jelly rollls when you have to trim and cut anyway? Also, I'm not sure how you pre-wash a jelly-roll. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary work.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:27 PM

I am currently making a childs quilt out of pinked charms that are cut off grain. I am seriously thinking of throwing all the block into a scrap bag to use with a wonky cut quilt sometime. I am another who will not buy precuts again. It's not that hard to cut the fabric and know for sure what size is.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM

I have only used charms once but I just bought 4 more packs. I didn't realize there was potential for issues. Is it all brands? I have only used Moda and thought they were fine. Any trouble with Modas anyone?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:12 PM

I have been getting jelly rolls at Big lots and there is no pinked edges on them
Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 PM

I've bought several jelly rolls, and none has ever had pinked edges. I've only ever bought one layer cake and the pinked edges drove me insane.

For me, the benefit to buying a jelly roll is being able to get all 42 fabrics in one range, where I would never be able to afford even just 1/4 yard cut of every fabric. I usually buy Hoffman batik jelly rolls because I love the scrappy yet co-ordinate quilt you get at the end, and buying batik yardage is just too expensive here in the UK.