Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Most frustrating quilting notion! >
  • Most frustrating quilting notion!

• Most frustrating quilting notion!

Old 05-08-2013, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I like the F&P red and cream colored seam ripper. It's very sharp and the point hasn't given me any problem at all. I like Clover seam rippers, they are smaller and very sharp. I put a rubber band around the round handle to keep it from rolling on the table.
    I too like the Fons and Porter seam ripper - have several - always seem to misplace them. I like the clover seam rippers alot too - but be careful - they are more delicate - broke the first one opening the package. Good that there is such a variety to chose from - "different strokes for different folks".
    Old 05-08-2013, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I too have the Ginger seam ripper .. love it ! It feels wonderful in my hand and is sharp! I used a coupon at JoAnns for mine,
    Will have to try it. Thanks!
    Old 05-08-2013, 04:14 AM

I also have the F & P ripper....or should I say have HALF of it. It rolled off my table onto tile floor and the metal part snapped off. I almost threw it all away, but kept the bottom half. It has that rubber end that is great for rubbing on fabric to remove those tiny pieces of thread as you remove a seam. So guess it wasn't it a total waste.
    Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 AM
    Banned

I hate the washable markers and pencils! The markers dry out way too quick and the pencils always seem to lose their tips when sharpened. I never buy them anymore. I use Crayola washable markers.
    Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 AM

i love my clover seam ripper the white one.and love my the cutting edge rotary cutter.
    Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by MacThayer
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]412244[/ATTACH]I have a Gingher seam ripper, and I absolutely love it. It has a curved body that fits nicely in my hand. The "ripping tip" is like a razor blade, so it cuts everything and gets between anything. Plus I can retract this blade into the body for safety. I've been a seamstress for 40 years, and now I'm a quilter. This is absolutely the best seam ripper I have ever used. Hopefully I've uploaded a photo to show you. They say you only need the original blade, because it never gets dull. I'm still ripping away on my original blade (two years now) and it's still plenty sharp. But if you get the chance to buy one with an extra blade, do it. I now have a refill, but it was hard to find.
    I got one of those because I had purchased a cheap, plastic version of it at a quilt show and loved it. But the Gingher I purchsed didn't have the sharp point to get under the stitches like the cheap one did. Even though I had a 50% off coupon it was still $12, much too much to keep something I didn't like, so I returned it. The only Gingher product I have not been please with.
    Old 05-08-2013, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
    My most annoying tool a needle threader. One day I might thread a needle as yet never has.
    Have you tried the Clover Desk Needle Threader? It isn't perfect because it doesn't thread ALL needles (depends on the shape and size of eye) but it has made my hand quilting and appliqué experiences so much more pleasant! I could never get that little wire thing into the eye of my 11 betweens..... take a look. It's pricey, but I find it worth every penny.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7bu4g8v5xi_e
    Old 05-08-2013, 04:47 AM

I also like the tiny rippers that are included in the accessories that come with a sewing machine. A few years ago, I bought Fons & Porter seam rippers, exactly like those machine accessory ones ... 2 tiny ones in a small red holder (2 rippers but 3 holes); I like it very much. I pretty much always remember to put the seam rippers in the holder holes, which saves me time. (I have been known to misplace my seam rippers!)
    Old 05-08-2013, 05:05 AM

I have several Bernina seam rippers and have NO complaint with them at all. I keep one in the container with my pins, so it doesn't roll off my sewing table. Also keep a large rubber band around my pin container so the container doesn't "creep" off my sewing table from vibrations.
    Also, another tip: I keep a piece of that rubbery shelf liner on my sewing table and place my thread stand on it so it doesn't slide or creep.
    Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 AM
    sap

I've used a scalpel, for the last 20 years or so,very sharp and useful.