Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
good tip for storing binding? >

good tip for storing binding?

good tip for storing binding?

Old 06-08-2013, 05:45 AM

I do as Jan does EXCEPT I had my DH cut the solid end off a large plastic pharmacy type medication bottle to use instead of a TP roll. Works great hanging around my neck and no pulling the extra binding that I used to just hang over my shoulder.
Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I wind on a TP roll, starting with a piece of tape to hold the end down and ending with a pin to hold the other end. I put a long piece of selvage thru the roll to make a necklace and wear it when I'm sewing on the binding. The rolls with binding are stored in a drawer until ready to be applied.

Jan in VA
Old 06-08-2013, 06:10 AM

I wind mine up and put it around the leg on my machine extension. It unwinds easily and isn't rolling all over everywhere.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:26 AM

When I wrap my binding around something it gets distorted, as in not folded precisely. Does anyone else have this problem? I prefer to accordion pleat mine in sections and pin each section.....a little awkward, but keep the shape better.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 AM

Guess I'm odd man out here. I don't bother cutting my binding until I'm ready to attach it. I store the chunk of fabric with the quilt until it's needed then cut my binding. No need to find another place to store something. I'll have to give the tp roll a try - provided I can get one to keep before the dogs use it as a toy!
Old 06-08-2013, 06:43 AM

I use a empty toilet paper roll. Just keep winding the binding around the toilet paper roll and pin the end.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
I roll mine and when it gets to be about an inch, I stick a straight pin through it and keep winding. As it grows, depending on how long it is, I add another pin or two or three. It makes it really easy to keep it together as I'm binding the quilt because it just unrolls to the the next pin and has saved me many times of having to roll it all over again.
* I do the same. It works great. I also put string through the spool and make a loop for it to hang around my neck when I sew the binding on.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
roll in on an emtpy TP roll or on an empty spool.
This is certainly the best and cheapest as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 AM

A good tip from the QB was to wind it around extension cord holders. Keeps it tidy & you can just hang them on hooks til you're ready for it. I think I found mine at the $1 Store.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:11 PM

I save empty tp tubes- lots of uses.* For binding, I slit one end, put an end of the binding in it. Then I roll the binding around the tube and put it in a bag that has a handle. I hang it on a knob on my sewing table and sew away. Binding unrolls ad is out of the way and NOT on the floor gathering dust & thread.

*Other uses: slit all the way - slip over gift wrap paper to keep it from unwinding; slip over embroidery stabilizer to keep it from unwinding AND write what kind of stabiizer it is on the tube. Don't slit and use to corral extension cords and all those charger cords that are messing up your drawers.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:20 PM

I just roll it neatly and keep the rolls in a plastic basket. I go to it whenever I make scrappy quilts.