Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Warning:  Magazine subscription renewal scams >
  • Warning: Magazine subscription renewal scams

• Warning: Magazine subscription renewal scams

Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 AM

Thank you Linda for posting this. I don't subscribe to magazines any more, I use to belong to a magazine unit that would let you know when your magazines were up for renewal or you could exchange them for one you would prefer. It gut to the point two much and two many magazines. It's so sad that so many companys take advantage of everyone.
    Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 AM

I had a subscription for a magazine and was sent a notice to renew it so I did. I then got two issues of the magazine. I had two accounts, I found out. I called and they were very nice, and combined the two subscriptions and extended the time of the subscriptions. I am now getting renewal notices for the one subscription - guess who won't renew! There is another way they get you to renew - an automatic renewal. That gets you to pay for something you may not want to continue. I would send back the magazine with cancel written on it.
    Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM

I have had the same bills come. One of them was for $79 for a year. I only paid $17.95 for the original subscription. Just recieved another one for $49.95 and the original subscription was on $12.95. I don't know how they get away with doing this to people!!!!! ( I am sure some poor unsuspecting souls, pay it and don't realize what is happening. )
    Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 AM

Thanks Linda..It's good to get this out there..I just got a renewal for "Quilter's World" that I have never subscribed to..$69.95 for 6 issues...Good Grief!! I have been getting F&P Love of Quilting, that's all. This was a bill from National Magazine Services in White City OR.. Beware, and read everything...
    Old 06-25-2013, 10:37 AM

Goes straight to file 13!
    Old 06-25-2013, 01:14 PM

I received one of these, also, and they wanted $56 for a year's subscription! It was over twice as much as I pd. the years before. I wasn't going to renew at that price. Then, I received a notice from Love of Quilting, the same one the other co. wanted twice as much. We really have to watch what we get online and in the mail.
    Old 06-25-2013, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning
    What I hate is when I do subscribe to a magazine and they start immediately trying to get me to extend for another year at a higher price. No more. I'll read my catalogues.
    Me too! This really ticks me off. It would be easy to lose track and be paid up for 5 years! I throw them away until it's time to renew.
    Old 06-25-2013, 05:24 PM

My DH usually pays all the bills and does not ask questions. He saw this and asked why my magazine had all of a sudden gone from $19.00 to $54.00! It was a scam bill. It actually says on the "bill" in really tiny letters, that it is not a bill!
    Old 06-26-2013, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the warning.
    Old 06-26-2013, 05:47 AM

I had to make a rule several years ago. If a bill comes in that is not a regular household bill and looks like it belongs to one of us - don't automatically pay the bill - talk to the other person first! DH paid a subscription renewal that I had already paid.

With so much on the internet these days, I don't subscribe any more. DH does and I always check with him. I have tried to talk him into going digital on his Analog but he likes getting the magazine.

I'm also of the mind that if there is something in a magazine that I want, that I will just pay the newstand price and get just the one copy.

And I have also had a very horrible experience with a magazine - I guess they aren't too smart - it's just bad PR to tick off a customer. Marketing 101 teaches that a happy customer might tell 5 or 6 people about their good experience, but an unhappy customer just won't shut up!