Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lending out your sewing machine. >

Lending out your sewing machine.

Lending out your sewing machine.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:55 PM

Oh, that's a tough question. My neighbor is an angel on earth. If she needed my machine, I would tell her that I would do it for her whatever it was. I wouldn't let them out of the house. Is that selfish?!
Old 07-04-2013, 01:36 AM

If I had a 2nd, back-up, older sewing machine I rarely used - sure! No problem. But like I tell my kids, if you allow someone else to use something, it probably won't be returned in the same condition. So make sure you're prepared for that fact!

That said, there's no way I'd loan out my new Pfaff! I'd let her come over some afternoon and help her with her project in my home, though.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:40 AM

Easy answer - sorry - NO ! I am a really careful person and if I do something it is down to me - not everyone is so careful - and don't know how to use a machine if they haven't got one !
Old 07-04-2013, 02:49 AM

Absolutely Not! A co-work of my husbands wanted to borrow my good shears. Not in my life time.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 AM

If it was strictly a mechanical machine and I was comfortable with the person's ability - no problem. Not an electronic machine, though. That they can come to my house an sew.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:02 AM

I only have one friend that I'd let use one of my machines. Hers was in the shop and I told her she could take one of my featherweights until hers was ready. She turned 3 shades of pale and flatly refused. She said she was afraid it would break. I told her that really wasn't very likely, but if it did, I could fix it. She finally took one of my clones and was a nervous wreck the whole time she had it. I know she would treat mine like it was her own. She is truly the only person I wouldn't hesitate to send any of my machines home with--even my really good ones!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 AM

my neighbors don't sew . i'm safe. they ask me if i would do some hemming for them no there to.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:55 AM

I once lent out the foot pedal and cords to a friend with the same machine. Something was wrong with her pedal and she was on a schedule. It worked out okay, but I was nervous the whole time the foot pedal was gone. I wouldn't lend my machine.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:59 AM

I had a early 1970's Singer I lent to my DIL. She had nothing but trouble with it. Gave it back to me. I tried it and it sewed like a charm. All I could figure was she was using really cheap thread. I gave her some good quality thread and she didn't have anymore problems.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:10 AM

My oldest daughter likes to use my sewing/embroidery Babylock when she comes from out of state and that is fine with me. To loan one to a neighbor or a friend...I'd have to think about it but it wouldn't be the Babylock. Since I have a dozen machines I could probably find one I could loan if I felt like it. I'd rather GIVE them one than loan it.