Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginner questions >

Beginner questions

Beginner questions

Old 08-23-2013, 03:45 AM

- One website said that in order to quilt you need a sewing table up against a left-hand corner of a room. I just don't have that possibility in my house, there's no available left-hand corner or anyplace where I could put anything to the left of a table. My dining table is round in the center of a small dining area room with no available walls to push it up against.

- So I thought, well, I can hand-quilt it. But I saw in several places where people say that hand-quilted quilts fall apart. (That puzzles me because I own an antique hand-quilted one and it's intact.) Is this true? I just don't know what to do.

- I don't have a special sewing machine, it's a Husqvarna Viking Huskystar. I can't afford to buy a longarm just for quilting. Is a basic sewing machine OK?

I'm no expert seamstress but have done some sewing (mostly projects for home decorating which turned out fine) so think I could do this, maybe start with kind of a simple one.
I know you have a ton of responses that address the questions you asked however I am an engineer, and want to know WHY this information is out there so going to try to address them for you.
1. You can sew on what ever makes you happy. I use a table cobbled together from an old counter top and legs bracketed into it. The reason it is recommended to have a large table on the left is when you are doing the machine quilting on a domestic machine (DSM, which is your regular sewing machine) it helps to have some support for the quilt, which will be on the left of the machine. You do not need it for piecing, it is just nice to have when you do the quilting.
2. Hand quilting is a skill like any other. If you desire to hand quilt there are an enormous amount of tools to assist, feel free to look around. Again, use what is comfortable for you to use. The reason people say that hand quilting "falls apart" is due to the materials used and the skill of the quilter. As is the reason anything handmade doesnt last very long. I suspect the people who ran across hand quilted items that fell apart found those with thread that was not very good to begin with or were not cared for properly. Cotton, which is a natural fiber, will eventually degrade but that should take hundreds of years if cared for properly. You can also look at the definition of thread staples. Basically it is the length of the piece of cotton being twisted into a thread while spinning. As the years and technology have gone by, our materials are getting much better.
3. Your regular sewing machine is just fine. I have a small Brother machine that I use to piece on and it works great. Long arming is a skill like anything else. And as such, you will have to WANT to use one to get one. There are places that rent time on their long arms, I strongly encourage you to rent time to see if that is something you want to do before you start investing in one. Leah Day has a website, where she walks you through how to quilt on a domestic machine. She was the one that finally clicked for me, and I was able to finally get over my fear. Definitely check her out. It is entirely possible to do some stunning pieces on a domestic machine. Historically, people used either hand or a domestic machine.
4. As long as you can thread your machine and understand about bobbins and tensions, you can quilt. Be sure to look at ALL the patterns. I have done some very complicated looking quilts that were very basic piecing, it was just the color placement and selection that made it look complicated. Just remember for the most part, it is all squares, rectangles and triangles you are putting together. Accurate seams is important, in Home Dec and Clothing, you generally use a 5/8ths inch seam, in quilting you use a 1/4 in. This may look wrong but it is just fine. If you are looking to invest in a useful tool for quilting, I strongly recommend a 1/4in foot with a guide for your machine. I never had consistent seams (even with all the other tricks) until I got the foot with the guide. It is the best!

The biggest thing to remember, there is no right or wrong way to do anything. There is just what makes you comfortable. If the quilt stays together, if the people who get your quilts like them, well then you are doing it right. The rest is just skill and practice. People everywhere are going to tell you what is the best way. What they leave out is that it is the best way for them. Ask "why" if they cant answer, then do what you want. if they can, well then you just learned something new. Never fear! it is just quilting, not brain surgery, if something is wonky or not exactly right, it isnt a life threatening event. And when all else fails.......say to yourself "This was an artistic design choice, I meant for it to look like that"
Old 08-23-2013, 04:19 AM

Default Jump in.....

I was so intimidated by quilting even though I've sewn all my life. I decided to take a basic beginner's quilting class. Best thing I ever did. Used my Singer Featherweight and a pair of rotary cutters. Everything else the LQS provided. I learned so much and the skills learned were enough to give me the confidence to start making my own quilt. If I didn't remember something I looked it up on the internet. Also, I joined a quilt guild...Lots of knowledge and helpful people there. Also the QB is a wonderful resource. Jump in and if you make any 'errors' then consider it a learning experience and a unique quilt. Here's a pic of my first quilt made at the beginner quilt class. I say jump in ..... you have the desire and a sewing machine....you can do this.....
Attached Thumbnails firstquilt.jpg  
Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board!!! You can make a quilt with what ever machine you have. This board is a great place and everyone is so helpful. Do not worry about space just quilt where you can.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by deniseraphael View Post
- One website said that in order to quilt you need a sewing table up against a left-hand corner of a room.....
Denise
Are you kidding me??!!
Good grief, I'd never have started quilting 30+ years ago, nor would half the people I know if we'd been restricted by that particular quilt police dictum! I even had one student who STOOD at a bookcase with her machine when she started.......I am STILL shaking me head at this preposterous statement.

Jan in VA

Jan in VA
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM

Welcome to the Boards. The rule about having to put the sewing machine in the left-hand corner of the room sounds like a feng shui kind of thing. My thoughts - bloom where you are planted! Put the sewing machine where you are able, don't worry about having to long-arm quilt. I actually had the whole frame/long arm setup that took up the whole room and stopped using it and am quilting on my regular machine and having tons of fun. I think Craftsy might have some free classes that you can start with. Of course, I've learned TONS from the people here on the boards. Your current sewing machine should be fine. Pick a pattern that you want to start with and go for it!! I bet you'll be glad you did.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 AM

Hog Wash! What did they do in the glory days? Do what is right for you, You will do find. Also you will be hooked forever. lol
Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 AM

Pieced my first two quilts (120" x 120") on my 1990 something Kenmore 17 stitch machine on my daughter's first desk (about 3'x2'). Looking back I still don't know how I did it. I must have been really good back then. lol Sometimes I use a wooden TV tray to the left of me to support weight of quilt and sometimes I set my machine on the TV table and rest my top on the table.

An even feed foot (walking foot) was my best friend. My machines use a generic one and first one cost $25 - but I've bought another for approx. $10. Without my walking foot I would have given up. Welcome to the Board. Actually with all the freebies on the internet there is no need to buy any quilting book. I buy them 'just because I like to look at the pretty pictures'.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board and the wonders of quilting.

If you've made home dec projects - and they turned out fine - you are certainly ready and prepared to work on making a quilt top.

Sheesh!!! It's been said before - people have made long lasting quilts when the only tools they had were fabric, scissors, needle, and thread. And maybe something that they made templates with.

If the hand made ones fell apart, some of the reasons may have been:

The fabric was fragile to begin with - or it was stored in conditions that made it deteriorate
The thread was poor quality -
The sewer was inexperienced -

I think 'way back when ' - most girls were taught at least some sewing skills - so the falling apart ones were probably more recent.

As far as there being 'no rules' - I think that is a bit of a stretch. Some ways of doing things do seem to work better than others.

I think MOST people prefer to have the finished product lay flat, have the opposite sides be approximately the same lengths, and to have it hold together.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 AM

Quilts were made in covered wagons under deplorable conditions. Many of them still exist. To me that disputes everything you've read.

Start simple and go for it.

Come back with questions as needed. No question is stupid. No matter what mistake you've made someone else on this board has made it, too.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 AM

Dismiss all those negative concerns.....jump in......and ENJOY!!! You will be a work-in-progress......just like all the rest of us!