Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Manufacturers need to wise up on what quilters want. >

Manufacturers need to wise up on what quilters want.

Manufacturers need to wise up on what quilters want.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I know several machines like that have been on the market for years. Brother and Juki straight stitch only machines are two of them. I have a Brother 1500. Straight stitch machine with big throat. I can machine quilt a king size quilt with no problem. Easy to find for $500 or less.
That puts it in my price range. Does it have to go on a frame? Do people usually use it with a quilting frame?

Whoever said the dealers don't have it all was right. They'd point me at a snazzy high-end Janome or Pfaff or Bernina and for those prices why not go all the way and get a long-arm? I guess that's the sweet spot for profits on sewing machines.
thanks for the suggestion
Old 09-16-2013, 06:02 AM

I went the way of the industrial singer 30+ years ago for $1000. Huge motor and two stitches, straight and zigzag. Have to change the plates and feed dogs each time so bought a second one about 7 years ago to leave each set up with the one stitch. The new machine cost $1000. So in 30+ years I have spent $2000 and have two machines which do exactly what I want and service them myself. Whatever works.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Singer-2...item4610bf6b6c
Attached Thumbnails cog-2012-112.jpg  

Last edited by applique; 09-16-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
When will they make a simple machine with a bigger throat? It shouldn't have to be an expensive machine just bigger. All I want is a large throat for FM quilting and a straight stitch. Doesn't have to be super fast, electronic, or super heavy duty. Old Singers seem to have huge throats, so I know they started out that way. Why pay big bucks for a commercial machine? Anyone else feel this way?
Have you seen the Janome 1600 ?? (also the Viking Megaquilter and Pfaff Grandquilter, they are "triplets" - same machines w/ different covers, all made by Janome)
Straight stitch, mechanical, high speed machines with a larger throat. Much like the Juki or Brother 1500 models. Very reasonably priced. Speed control, auto-thread cutter and knee lift. Mine came with an extension table, but I bought it about 5 yrs ago. Doesn't require a frame. Simple, heavy-duty machines without the commercial price. I've sewn everything on mine from quilts to home decor, denim, heavy outdoor canvas etc. Never a problem ...

Last edited by TexasGurl; 09-16-2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by davis2se View Post
I think that we ALL know that manufacturers are "in it for the money". That doesn't change the fact that many, many folks are looking for relatively basic machines with large enough throats to easily accomodate FMQ. Seems to me that when there is a sizable demand for such an item, the manufacturers would looking seriously at filling the need.
I'm not trying to defend the manufacturers; I'm just saying how businesses usually work. Please don't fuss at me, for saying this!

Businesses need to make a good profit, to stay in business. Designing and manufacturing any new product, is very costly. In order for a new production to be worthwhile to the business, it must cater to a HUGE market and produce a HUGE profit. Needless to say, businesses like to steer as many customers as possible, to their higher price items. There IS a huge market for machines with longer throats BUT a good percentage will bite the bullet and pay the higher price, if there's no other way. IF a simpler, less expensive machine were produced, many would still want the bells and whistles BUT a good percentage would probably buy the less expensive machine. . . which means less profit, for the company.

Needless to say, the best business to produce the simple long-throat, inexpensive machine, would be one which doesn't already produce a bunch with bells & whistles. That way, it wouldn't be competing against itself. Perhaps quilters should start petitioning the smaller companies, to produce this machine.

I hope my rambling makes sense, as I sometimes have trouble explaining my thoughts.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
In looking around, I recently found out you can buy a $10,000 Bernina sewing machine. It does everything but bring you a cup of tea while you quilt LOL but that is a professional machine I assume.
Janome has one in that price range too... I assume the other manufacturers do as well. I used to think Bernina was the most expensive machines; but the more I started looking the more I realized all the brands have expensive machines. I actually ended up with a Bernina because the one I got (430) was $1.5k less than the Janome (7700) I wanted; I didn't get the big throat (but I can do a king size on mine, it's just a pain), but I did get embroidery capability, that I do actually use.

I do wish there was a simple machine that had a large throat, needle up/down, and great stitch quality. But then mostly I just need straight and zig-zag stitch. Maybe a blanket stitch and some of the other nice garment stitches (triple stitch?). But certainly not the hundreds of decorative stitches. I made a project that uses mine, but I don't touch it. When I went to buy my machine I really wanted an alphabet, but I NEVER use it. Rather, I just embroider things; looks much nicer than the sew alphabet anyway. There is just so much unnecessary stuff on my machine- not only do I have a million decorative stitches; I have a function to mirror image them! Who uses this?
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 AM

Here's another point of view....suppose you own a sewing machine company and it comes to you through marketing research that quilters, one segment of the sewing population want/need larger throat area. How much is it going to cost you to re-design, re-tool and manufacture the newer model? How long will that take? What are your current profit margins? How many people will you need to pay for the project? HOW MUCH WILL THIS CHANGE COST? Now, how interested are you in making this change when you're not really sure that many people will buy your machine? Bernina took a big gamble with their machines and followed up with a BIG pricetag and HUGE marketing campaign and I wonder how successful it's been? Have many of you gone out and bought the $10 THOUSAND dollar sewing machine? It's good to wish, want and suggest. I don't think it should move into criticism until you consider the business side of the equation. As with so many other issues in life, think about it more deeply before you rush to opinion.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 AM

I completely understand where your coming from. I purchased a Brother CS6000i last a little over a year ago. I had been quilting for about a year and needed something with more features, however probably the most important thing I didnt look at was the throat size. I was on a limited budget of $300 or less. Dont get me wrong I love my machine but a larger throat would be great. I have FMQ'd up to a twin on mine with little problem but am very timid about going any larger due to not having enough room. I am currently looking for another machine with the bells and whistles along with a larger throat for in the future. I have found a couple but they are way expensive as in the thousands range. I have faith that I will find a less expensive one that I will also love when the time comes. Just keep looking and you will find that needle in the haystack that you are looking.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:08 AM

I have a Viking and it also has a larger throat. I have done several Queen and King sized quilts with no problem
Old 09-16-2013, 08:13 AM

That machine has an 8.6" throat, per Amazon.

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I have just the machine the OP is talking about -- a Brother PQ1500S. It has a 10" throat, straight stitch, pin feed, needle up/down, and I love the push button thread cutter. Amazon has it listed for $668.00, but I got mine on E-Bay for only $250.00. I don't think the seller knew what he had. But anyway, if you really want a machine with few bells and whistles, I can certainly recommend this one or it's first cousin, the Juki 2010.

Or if you want to go old school, consider the Singer 201 -- lot's of space to work on that machine. http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/...ne-review.aspx
Old 09-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

It seems to be all about $$$$.