Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Do you needle turn applique?  I have a question for you! >
  • Do you needle turn applique? I have a question for you!

• Do you needle turn applique? I have a question for you!

Old 09-20-2013, 05:57 PM

Thanks MargaretH. I had not seen her site. Love the video on how to turn a point.
    Old 09-20-2013, 06:00 PM

I love Erin Russeck and I learned a lot from her.
    Old 09-20-2013, 09:13 PM

It takes practice, a lot of practice, but it will pay off in the end. My first project was a small heart on a piece of fabric which I still have. One method I use is to trace my pattern, very lightly on the right of the fabric, cut a 1/8 of inch and turn on the marked line. I prefer to use a straw needle and silk thread. Some people use fabric glue to form(in this case flower petals)and them sew. Others use spray starch. I have heard of people using a toothpick instead of the needle to turn the fabric. I am sure you will find the method that best suits you. Your "aha" moment is in the making.
    Old 09-20-2013, 09:37 PM
    Power Poster

I am so glad I stumbled across this thread. I want to learn to do this. I will be checking out these sites listed to learn. I don't know anything about these different needles mentions here such as a straw needle, etc.
    Old 09-21-2013, 03:15 AM

If you could find a class on needle turn appl. it would make all the difference. I never did needle turn appl. till I took the class offered at "quilt camp", learned so very much and now I really, really enjoy it.
    Old 09-21-2013, 01:44 PM
    Suz

Default Applique question

I, too, applique using needle-turn. I recently learned the back basting method which is my preference.

You have been told to keep your seam allowances at 1/8", to clip inside curves (I do not clip the outside curves since the 1/8" seam allowance is to fine).

To this I would suggest you make good use of your non-needle hand thumbnail to hold your turned under seam allowance in place. When you see a point developing, stroke your seam allowance on the underside and coax it out until it disappears. Use your thumb here to hold in place. Keep your stitches really small 1/8" or less between. On the back side of your foundation pieces, it should look like fine chicken scratching. Use a very fine needle. I use a milliner's or straw needle. Also, real batiks are very dense owing to their production. Try to avoid them until you are more experienced with applique.

Don't get discouraged. Remember also, when pressing, press face down onto a towel, otherwise your applique will become flat. And your work will always look much better after pressing.
    Old 09-21-2013, 02:39 PM
    Suz

I am appliquing while watching Penn State U football. And thought of two more things.

I have an old throw pillow on my lap (which is really an oversized pincushion) and pin to it about 3" from where I am working. This pinning acts as a third hand and will help you control where you are stitching and give you a little resistance. And having the pillow on your lap will bring your work closer to you which you will enjoy. --- Once you take this pillow as a pincushion, do not use it for decorating. You will lose needles in it and could be unsafe to others to sit on.

And I find I use my forefinger and thumb on the needle hand to turn the edge of the applique piece. If you turn under too much, it is easy to stroke the piece to the correct position.

Hope I haven't been too wordy. Sorry, if I have.
    Old 09-22-2013, 09:23 AM

Thanks again for all the help everyone! I am going to start trimming my seam allowance to an 1/8 of an inch, I've been doing 1/4 inch. Plus I've been using batiks, I'll start using regular cotton fabric.
    Old 09-22-2013, 09:29 AM

I'm glad you asked this question. Having chosen a MAINLY applique quilt pattern for my first one in a long time was a huge mistake. I keep putting off working on it because I feel like a huge failure when I look at my feeble attempts on practice pieces.
    Old 10-28-2013, 08:32 PM

Either take a class or join an applique bee and ask question after question! There's no substitute for dialogue.