Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thought for today! >

Thought for today!

Thought for today!

Old 10-16-2013, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Hello.. I just used Elmer's glue to baste a quilt for the first time. It worked wonderfully, but I am wondering if there is a way to apply it more evenly.. mine was sort of clumpy in spots. I would also love to tackle FMQ. The shop where I purchased my machine from said that it is capable of FMQ and that she has seen some people's FMQ that is just beautiful. I have practiced but always chicken out when it comes to a "real quilt" I don't want to mess up my project (I have quilted a quilt and ended up hating it - it ruined the whole quilt for me)
Meyert, I purchased an Elmer's Washable School glue PEN! It has two tips on it. One is fine, like an ink pen and the other end is a little larger. The fine tip works wonderfully, and if you run out, the tip can be popped off and you can refill it from the regular bottle. I am pretty sure I bought it at Michaels, but you might be able to find it somewhere else. I also used a 40% off coupon! Totally worth it!
Old 10-16-2013, 10:10 AM

Here's the thing...no matter how good at FMQ their will be places only you know about that do not meet up too your expectations. Everytime you make a quilt those places get smaller and harder to spot, BUT their will always be those places only you know about.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:53 AM

I would like to perfect the art of sandwiching! I can sandwich small projects like table runners but struggle with anything larger. I have laid the quilt on the floor (not fun) and on my large dining room table, but the layers don't stay straight. As I stitch in the ditch, the backing starts to move. I have tried pinning and spray starching. I use Elmer's glue for binding, but haven't tried it for sandwiching yet.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Power Poster

Great post. Thanks for starting it. FMQ (free motion quilting) is my thing to improve. Don't know what is stopping me.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM

I want to learn FMQ. When my new machine arrives, I plan to start practicing. (Scares me to death!)
Old 10-16-2013, 12:38 PM

My goal is to find a pattern I love and then follow the instructions to the very end. I start out wanting it to be exactly like the illustration, but then I start tweaking it against my better judgment. Sometimes I'm sorry, but I can't seem to learn my lesson.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM

I haven't done paper piecing yet or needle turn applique and would like to become competent at both
Old 10-16-2013, 01:01 PM

I learn something new with each project! The goal I haven't achieved yet is FMQ, I'm terrible at "practice, practice, practice" although I did see a slight improvement recently.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:10 PM

I would use my iron and a pressing sheet to dry the drops of glue quickly. I have also used little tiny squares of heat-n- bond with a pressing sheet to baste small quilts on both sides.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
I don't believe I will ever make a "perfect" quilt, since I am a bit of a perfectionist and always find something I could have done better. The Amish deliberately put a "mistake" into each quilt, as they believe that only God is perfect. Thank heavens I don't have to deliberately put in a "mistake". LOL
The Amish don't deliberately put in mistakes either. Ask the Amish. They say they make enough mistakes so they don't have to make one deliberately.
I think it's the Turks that do that. If you look carefully at an authentic Turkish rug, you can find where the pattern is just a little off. It's not made by machine. These are hand woven. I have found about 10 places in my rug that is different from the rest of the pattern of that section. But you can't notice it from a distance.

We all just do the best we can, and don't sweat it if it isn't perfect.