Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question for you >

A question for you

A question for you

Old 10-14-2013, 06:50 AM

Default A question for you

A lady commissioned some items for me to make her.I feel like a deposit is in order,as I have cut up my good fabric and made things before then they changed their mind.Who is familiar with this and how much should I as for the deposit???
Old 10-14-2013, 06:52 AM

I don't think a 50% deposit would be out of line at all. I would happily put down that much.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:58 AM

thats what I have asked in the past, having been let down like you with person changing their mind after I had started the project
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I don't think a 50% deposit would be out of line at all. I would happily put down that much.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:40 AM

You should have a written contract on what you are making for her, how many, the price per item, and the deposit. I concur that you should as for at least 50% of the total price. And remember that the price per item includes the materials used to make the items (fabrics, batting, embellishments, etc.) AND an estimate of the time it will take you per item to make them.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

The most important thing when doing work for payment. You have to be able to separate the business from the friendly lady. If you are uncomfortable stating your terms then you will more then likely to be left holding the bag.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:25 AM

While 50% sounds reasonable, I would hope that would at least cover the expense of your material. If you don't get paid then you would seemingly have to replace the material used.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 AM

What you need is a good contract. I'd say cover the cost of your material, thread and batting up front. It is so easy for someone to want something and not be able to see how it will turn out in the end. If they don't like it, then at least you have a quilt that only cost time. Be sure to sign and date it and give her a copy. There's no backing out once the items are purchased.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:17 AM

Definitely get a 50% deposit, otherwise it's too easy for them to leave you with a completed quilt and you minus good fabric and your time. Toverly also has a good suggestion.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

I make it real easy. I only make quilts and I only make them for myself.
Good luck with this venture.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:22 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I make many commissioned quilts, always with a deposit to cover the cost of the materials -- fabric, batting, thread, and extras, up front.
I also use a contract signed by both of us, stating the object to be made, the design, the quilting design, the fabrics and batting to be used, the approximate length of time the work will take, and when the final amount will be paid before the quilt is delivered.
Years and years ago I was told by a business owner/mentor: "Business is business and friendship is bulls---." I knew what he meant, not in a bad way, and have tried to conduct most business decisions under this premise since.

Jan in VA