Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question for you >

A question for you

A question for you

Old 10-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

You do need something in writing! As far as the deposit is concerned, 50% or the cost of your materials whichever is HIGHER! Make sure you include batting, backing, thread, and if you got the materials on sale, well, good for you, but you should charge the non sale price.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

Ditto what Lisa_wanna-b-quilter said. 50% is what most ask. Call a bridal shop and ask what they require. They usually ask for atleast 50% or more.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 PM

I used to have a wedding dress business, I got clients to buy their own materials, agreed the design and cost, gave a receipt with payment due on final fitting. I've gotten back into sewing recently and have been making soft furnishings, blinds etc and I either get the client to buy their own material or pay for the cost up front, with the balance due being for my time and work. Its always worked for me, my thinking being if they don't come back I could always sell the finished item, but its never happened the only time I ended out of pocket was making drapes and pelmets for a friend, who never gave me the money for some extras I had to buy. It wasn't a lot but it did annoy me for a while.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:08 AM
Power Poster

I do a lot of commission work- when someone contacts me about a question we discuss the project, I determine the price- and I let the person know I require a 50% non-refundable deposit before I start- with the balance due upon completion. I've never had anyone have a problem with that- and I did have one person who did not want their quilt when it was finished a few years ago- I mailed her a copy of our agreement, with a registered letter letting her know she had 30 days to pay for the item or she relinquished any claim to the quilt. at the end of the 30 days I was able to list and sell the quilt elsewhere. I do not spend a penny; or make a single cut until a price has been agreed on, a time frame and a deposit received. avoids bad feelings at all cost...
Old 10-15-2013, 04:55 AM

These posts are well worth reading before working on a commissioned quilt. Hope I will remember this before agreeing to do a quilt for money.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:45 AM

Yes, I agree get the deposit. If I am doing something for someone and they do not know what color family or print they want. I have them go with me to the fabric store. This way they pick out the fabric and pay for it themselves. I am not out the money and the fabric was their choice not mine.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 AM

I must be really cheeky. If someone wants me to make so etching we mull over a pattern . Then they go and purchase fabric from my friends quilt shop and I sew for the cost of so many classes in the shop. Works great for me as I get free weeks.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:11 AM

A 50% deposit certainly seems correct. If a person truly intends to pay for what they ordered and have paid half I would think the chances are that the results will be positive.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:53 AM

I would get a deposit that would replace your supplies in case she changes her mind. So, if you've invested $150 in supplies, that's the deposit. You'll be out the money for your time, but can replace anything you made just for her.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:53 AM

I don't make quilts on commission either. I have heard too many comments indicating they could do it themselves for less, buy at the store for much less, get someone else to do it more cheaply, etc. etc. I did a couple and decided this is not for me!