• Sunbonnet Sue quilt for Baby, I need help

• Sunbonnet Sue quilt for Baby, I need help

Old 01-02-2014, 08:24 PM

Wash away applique sheets are my preference, see the following:

http://www.ctpub.com/showproducts.cfm?WPCID=1110

for more information.

This video is very good to show you how to do your stitching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s574YcWRG2k

You can get fray check from your local quilt shop as well, to stop any fraying on points and corners

Here is another video, using plastic templates

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDBl7lJuJs

You can either pin or sparingly use Elmers clear school glue (small dots of glue), which washes out - to hold your fabric in place, until you get it stitched on. Be careful with darker fabric, as if you press it - to dry the glue, the glue will turn white.

You can purchase wash-away applique sheets, you can print your pattern onto the sheets using your printer, printing on the smooth side of the sheet - (Your econmy setting on your printer works well), the sheets are also transparent enough to allow for tracing - they are water soluable, single sided fusible, and eco friendly -instructions on how to do everything is in the pkg. each pkg has 25 sheets. You get nice clean appliqued edges.

If you have many of the same shape, you can staple up to 6 sheets together inside the pattern lines, and rough cut the stacks of patterns apart. Then remove the staples.

You will fuse the fabric with the shiny fusible side against (wrong side) of your fabric) - Leave 1/8 to 1/4 inch of fabric to turn under edges of applique piece and stitch to your background fabric. Wash your finished block in warm water when you're done. Rince by hand in a bowl or sink full of warm water. Let it dry and press - then onto the next block.

The applique sheets will soften once they have been in warm water.

I use YLI silk thread, as it appears to disappear into the fabric, so no stitches show. I stitch down by hand, I find it very relaxing, and can usually complete a square in a day to two, depending on the size of the pieces.

These sheets can also be used for paper piecing, therefore no paper removal - BONUS!

I hope this will help you out.

Last edited by d.rickman; 01-02-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    Old 01-03-2014, 04:04 AM

If you prefer not to applique,You can use crayons and color the Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Sam blocks. Our guild presented our president with blocks done this way. Each person cut a 13" square of muslin. Next the Sunbonnet Sue Pattern was taped to a smooth hard surface. The muslin square is placed on top of the taped pattern and also taped at the four corners with painters tape to keep the fabric taunt. Next, Trace the pattern onto the muslin. Hint: In order to see through the muslin fabric to trace your Sunbonnet Sue Pattern, you can use a light box, or make your own light box.(a clear plastic container with a dollar store press on light inside.) I put my paper pattern on top of the white side of freezer paper to enhance the white background in order to see the black pattern lines to trace. I used a micron pen I purchased at Michaels craft store. Some use an extra fine Sharpie marker. Be sure the ink is permanent.
    Next, have fun coloring the traced pattern on the muslin. Be creative and put dots, lines, any design you wish. One lady put a strainer screen under the fabric and rubbed the crayon over it to produce the screen pattern on the muslin. I drew cherries all over my sunbonnet sue's apron. Make a rainbow...Write the family names...After you color the blocks take a clean, white, paper towel and place over crayon colored block. Press on wool setting, lifting iron up and down across not sliding across. The heat will set the crayon color in the fabric and the wax will be left on the paper towel. Last thing is to seal in the crayon color to make the fabric washable. Use Ceramcoat Textile Medium made by Delta and sold at Hobby Lobby.
    Paint the textile medium over the crayon section of the block with a thin coat and dry according to info. on the bottle of ceramcoat. Done! I practiced on scrap muslln first to see how the crayon looked. I used Crayola crayons. Hope this helps. You can look on this board to find many ways to make crayon colored blocks. Congrats on your daughters pregnancy.
    Old 01-03-2014, 04:48 AM

i use wonder under fusible web which I get at Joann's very light...and I cut out the middle of the webbing just to have the outer edge glued down then blanket stitch w/machine
    Old 01-03-2014, 05:04 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljl_O2aOT1M