Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sunbonnet Sue quilt for Baby, I need help >

Sunbonnet Sue quilt for Baby, I need help

Sunbonnet Sue quilt for Baby, I need help

Old 01-02-2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dyan View Post
Get Eleanor Burns Sunbonnet Sue book, she goes step by step, I made one years ago, and my 29 year old daughter still loves it and requested a new one for her queen sized bed.
I bought this book and it took me step by step.........
Old 01-02-2014, 06:21 AM

I did Eleanor Burns Sun Bonnet Sue and Overall Sam and she uses fusible web and it goes really fast. Easy peasy. If you go to her web site she sometimes has her older books with the patterns in them which are very cheap.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:33 AM

The Elanor Burns book and shapes already on the fusible web are great. Pretty goof proof.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM

I did an Overall Sam but instead of applique, I traced the pattern on my blocks and used fabric markers to color everything the colors I wanted. I've used the same technique on a Sunbonnet Sue using crayons.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:01 AM

When I do fusible applique I normally use Handler by Trans Web I think. It is pretty light and doesn't leave the top so stiff.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:19 AM

I use freezer paper, it's accurate, fast and easy, just copy all the pieces on freezer paper, iron on the fabric and needle turn!
Old 01-02-2014, 11:27 AM

When I did my SB I sewed my appliques on coffee filters(I bought very cheap from the dollar store) then turned inside right then did a blanket stitch around each piece.....you can do a blanket stitch by machine or by hand if that's more comfortable then you don't have that stiffness or hard pieces. And doing this way my needle didn't get all gummed up either. Hope you find something that helps.

Donna P
Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 PM

I also used Eleanor Burns' book on Sunbonnet Sue and was really pleased with it.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:57 PM

This is the way I did my Sun Bonnet Sue baby quilt only I didn't use interfacing, I used a lightweight fabric. Then I blanket stitched around it to attach to the block. It wasn't stiff and it has held up well. My granddaughter is about to be 3 and she uses it all the time, winter and summer so it has been washed and dried in the dryer tons of times.

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I loved doing Sues the Eleanor Burns way (of Quilt In A Day). she uses light weight fusible interfacing. draw your Sue parts on the interfacing (non-glue side), lay the interfacing (glue side down) on top of the fabric, sew the lines. cut a slit in the interfacing if necessary to turn right side out. then finger press or use wooden or plastic to press edges of pieces. no iron yet. then lay the pieces onto your background, layering them as needed and press in place. the glue of the interfacing should be toward the bking fabric. then I did mine with blanket stitches. Love doing them this way, they have a bit of raised applique look.sorry I don't have better pics. these are now gone.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by MartiMorga View Post
I have done applique, fusible by machine. It is pretty easy. Only problem is that the heat and bond lite still can make the applique a little stiff. Someone told me to trace the image on the fusible and cut out the center leaving just a 1/2 inch along the edge to adhere to the material. Haven't tried it yet but sounds doable. Have fun with it, because it is fun!
Here is a video by Fons and Porter: http://video.fonsandporter.com/video...ible-applique/. It explains their windowing technique pretty good. This is is the way I do mine and I like it because the figures aren't so stiff. I also use the lightest fusible I can find.
Also it helps to use a stabilizer on the back of your fabric square to keep it from puckering when using a blanket or applique stitch. There are some stabilizers that dissolve in water and I have used those with good results.