Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
now what >

now what

now what

Old 01-31-2014, 05:22 AM

I've been quilting for almost 15 years...still struggle. My piecing has gotten neater and I press so much better but just recently discovered that what I thought was a 1/4" ISN'T!! My piecing will match up soooo much better on this next quilt...and I've used the same 1/4" foot for at least the last 10 years...I just wasn't lining up my fabric right!! Learning is good!!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:25 AM

I wanted to make a quilt for my son. I thought it was going to be a simple quilt. I bought two different blues and was using the churn dash block to make it. I hand sew so I cut all my pieces out. I marked each piece 1/4 inch for the sew line and I started sewing. To this day I don't know what was wrong but my pieces werent sewing together right. I forced a lot of pieces together then my block was wonky. I then decided to trim them up and when I did that the big block sewing seams didn't match. I had spent a lot of money on the material and I just had to decide to sew it up, quilt and move on. I didn't give it to my son. It is on my bed and I named it the Blue BooBoo. I think it was my third or fourth quilt I made. I have to tell you all my quilts have something that isn't quite perfect and they never turn out the way I envisioned so there you are. I could never enter my quilts in a show but I am sewing because I like making those little stitches and sometimes something turns out that amazes me.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 AM

We all get discouraged at times but keep sewing it will get better.
Do you live near a quilting group or guild?
I belonged to two, very different groups, and both have taken the time to help me with questions and assistance
with my quilting, which I appreciated. Now I have started another group in our church for beginning quilters and
new sewers and we are having lots of fun. Making quilts for children in Guatemala for a nutrition center and
other ladies are making projects for themselves but all enjoying sewing. Even had an 8 year old boy who made
a pillow cover for himself! So continue on.....
Old 01-31-2014, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
this week i took my machine, a pile of fabric from a frustrated project and paid for an hour long lesson at my lqs. it was worth every single penny of the whole $10 she charged me.

maybe taking something very specific project like you are working on and going through the steps would help you too. i asked her to sit with me for every step; the seam, the cutting, the piecing, the pressing. i got some great little insight into the things that are cumulatively to blame for my less than accurate piecing.

might be worth it

aileen
I agree, and ALL of my LQS's have free open sewing days once a week, or once a month. If you have one close to you, that could help. If not help from the employee there, usually other quilters go just for the social aspect and love to help. Please stick with it- watch U-tube tutorials for tips, also!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:15 AM

You need an encouraging friend. One who guides you if you need it, and who will just listen when you don't.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:07 AM

We have all felt your frustration, I have been quilting since 2005 and I do not think I will ever have everything just so on a quilt - and for me that is part of the beauty of my quilts - a bit quirky like me I learn something new with each item I make and I try to take that knowledge with me to the next quilt. We are all, our own worst critic! I have given away almost 250 quilts and no one has ever come back and said "by the way did you see it wasn't quite right" I am sure now that you have gotten your frustration out, and received some quilter's therapy here at QB - you are feeling better and can tackle your next project. Pins have become my best friend in quilting, I use them lots! I also do not press or iron as I go along as I am heavy handed and distort the fabric - I finger press. Please do keep quilting!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:22 AM

Yeah, I've felt that way too. My advise is to put it away for a while and do something simple like a dissappearing 9 patch (D9P) in a lap size, so you will see something beautiful and finished. If I'm discouraged witho something, plowing ahead does NOT work for ME. It may for others, but I find I need to do some small and/or simple things to get back on track.. Sometimes it's a looooooooong time before I pick up the frustrating project again. And there's no shame in adandoning it. You always learn something from a a project - even if it's that you don't want to finish it!!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:33 AM

Every person who quilts has to decide his or her level of acceptable vs. perfection. I would agree with all of those who have suggested going to a LQS for advice-I have always found them to be helpful when they realize that you are sincere. There are lots of youtube tutorials and Craftsy classes. I have enjoyed several Craftsy classes. I admit there they have been a couple that did not live up to their billing or to my expectations. Something that might be of help to you to see what you problem might be is to make paper templates. Use graph paper so that you can really see the detail. Make the templates just like the finished sections of the HST or flying geese is to be. After you cut the fabric compare it to the template to see if it is cut correctly. If not correct, look at your ruler-are the lines too wide, etc. Make notes as you go. If cut correctly, stitch the first seam and compare it to the template. Does it match, is the seam even and 1/4 inch. Make adjustments to the foot you are using, the guide you make for yourself-sticky note pads, moleskin or whatever. When your seam is correct go to the ironing board. Do you set the seam? Do you 'press' or do you 'iron'. To press you set the iron down on the work and not pull in any direction from the seam. If you pull you will distort the patch and it will be wonky. Compare your pressed patch of multiple pieces to the paper template. If it is off you can determine if the pressing is the problem. Because you are dealing with angles-bias and otherwise- you have to be careful. I think starch is a good help but it really does not substitute for accurate technique. This exercise could be well worth the effort. It will help you understand the why of a problem.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Can you show us a pic so maybe someone who is familiar with HST, and flying geese can offer up advice on what their techniques are
I agree. I have never had a problem with making a lot of flying geese from Eleanor Burns method. I have made quilts from guild swaps that the blocks were absolutely horrendous but the tops I made from these blocks ALL sold at the quilt guild's annual garage sale. I went home with money burning a hole in my pocket. If you ever want to talk, just send me a PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 AM

Nope, never felt like giving up. I don't aim for perfection in the first place. I make mostly string &/or crazy quilts so mistakes are not very noticeable, besides the people I give quilts to love me and think they're wonderful.