Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
scraps....Scraps.....SCRAPS.... >

scraps....Scraps.....SCRAPS....

scraps....Scraps.....SCRAPS....

Old 02-06-2014, 07:40 AM

I went through my scraps several years ago when my hubby built my new sewing cabinets and I was inspired to really get organized. I decided to cut in the standard "pre-cut" sizes since there are so many patterns out there designed for pre-cuts. I decided to stick to 5" squares and 2 1/2" strips. Then I went one step further with the small scraps and cut 2" squares, since I was already collecting squares of that size for a project. Any random pieces left that are bigger than about 1" square go in the crumb quilt basket that I use as leaders and enders when I sew other things.

The space my "pre-cuts" took up in my new cabinets was considerably less than the space all those randoms scraps took up. And they look so nice and neat too! I continue to do this every time I finish a project. If there is about 1/2 yard of fabric or more left, it gets flat folded into my stash area. Any smaller pieces get cut up into my pre-cut sizes. It had really kept down the clutter in my sewing room!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having my scraps precut, because now if I get in the mood to sew, I can just grab my precut scraps and start sewing. No plundering through bins of scraps, etc. No spending hours cutting, when I really want to sew.

Added later: I also keep a list of links to patterns I've run across that will work with that size of pre-cut in the box where the pre-cuts are stored. That way I don't even have to search for a special pattern when I need some sewing therapy! :-) Guess you've figured out...when I get the urge to sew, I want to sew! LOL!

Last edited by MarthaT; 02-06-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:01 AM

I've found what works best for me is to have containers labelled with different sizes of blocks, strips, etc.
Then as I work on a project and am done with that fabric, if it's too small to be anything more than a "scrap", I'll cut decide if it's long enough for 2-1/2" strips (meaning at least around 12" long to make it worth it), then cut the largest square I can get and work down from there. I have a separate (small) bin by my cutting table that I just toss those scraps into. Then when it gets full, these get sorted and they go into appropriate container. My squares are labelled with 2 - 4 inch squares since these work pretty well with each other. I don't sort by color.

Then, as I'm working on a regular project, I have some of these scraps near my sewing machine and use Bonnie Hunter's Leaders and Enders method. This starts working up into a nice scrap quilt quickly.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM

I make most of my quilts for Project Linus or some other charity. I usually organize my scraps into strips. I take each width strip and sew it end to end with another strip of the same width. After the strip is several inches long, I roll it with the right side on the outside. I place a pin in the finished roll so that it will not unravel. Like judith ann in an above post, when I want to quilt, I just pick up a roll of fabric and just start sewing. Usually I make a strip quilt horizontally, but occasionally I will make a lengthwise one. I don't really have a design in mind, just rows of strips. I alternate the width of
the strips on each row. I also have boxes of four patches, nine patches, and 16 patches that I pick up and sew when I feel more creative. As mentioned, Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville has many ideas to organize your scraps. Remember to use each little piece of fabric as it will make someone a comforting quilt.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:21 PM

As for me, I keep the larger sections/pieces of fabric and just fold them. I try to coordinate by color or by print. I have a lot of printed fabric so I do mine by content (ie: flowers, animals, childish). And I try to keep all of my fabric as large as possible so I can use it for just about anything. It's not a great system but it's working so far. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2014, 02:17 PM

Personally ... I wouldn't touch them until you know what you want to do with them. You'll kick yourself if you cut them into strips and find you need squares ... or whatever.

I was tempted for so long to just cut mine, but I resisted. Glad I did. I finally decided on the pattern I want to make from my "scrap heap" and I need 2" and 4" squares. I have another scrappy pattern on my bucket list that will use small narrow strips, so I'm saving the left overs from this scrap cut for the next project.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:02 PM

I have found that by putting strips together, squares, HST's, that it goes faster when I want to use them.
Mariah
Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 PM

I know we do get overwhelmed sometimes with our scraps,but I could never make myself start cutting fabric without a pattern in mind.I know a lot of quilters do cut their scraps but I have often wondered, how do you know what you will make from what you have cut? I always roll any scraps in a tight roll and tie with a string, that way I can see what I have when I need a color, and I keep my lights, mediums and dark fabric in a tub by themselves until I want to do a top that calls for scraps.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:58 AM

Today on Fave Quilts, there's lots of FREE scrappy strip quilting patterns and a FREE e-book on it.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:41 AM

2 and a half inch squares. I now have two 12 X 12 boxes and more to cut. Trying to keep them sorted by color. When I feel I have enough, I'm going to try and make a quilt that starts with white in the upper left corner and ends with black in the lower right. We shall see!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]460970[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ok-017.jpg  
Old 02-07-2014, 01:27 PM

For bulk scraps like you have, I would pick a couple of patterns and cut to kit those. Whatever does not go with what you are cutting keep as is for now. When you have a good start on the cutting start sewing. I too use a version of Bonnie's Scrap User System and it is great to be able to pull from my pre cut fabrics to start on a quilt but I know from year's of scrappy sewing the size of pieces I use most frequently.