Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need a "class" machine that actually works! >
  • Need a "class" machine that actually works!

• Need a "class" machine that actually works!

Old 02-07-2014, 07:35 AM

Janome 3160 or 4120 Definitely worth every penny. Good Luck
    Old 02-07-2014, 07:36 AM

Vintage Singer Featherweights or Singer 301's are super machines for straight stitching. You could find a featherweight for around $200 to $300, or a 301 (or 301-a, they are the same), for around $75 to $150. Shipping is never good for a machine, but these two machines can be shipped, and are readily available on that auction site. Also, they are fairly common finds at estate sales. Have you tried Craigslist? You can maintain them yourself, but if you don't want to, you can have them serviced at any sewing machine shop for minimum charges. Vintage machines are the only way to go, IMHO. The newer machines are just too "flimsy" for me!
    Old 02-07-2014, 07:37 AM

I have a Brother XL2600i. I bought it from Penny's. It weighs 11lbs, sews a very nice seam. I really like this machine.
    Old 02-07-2014, 08:19 AM

I also have a Singer 301 (known as the Featherweights big sister) and love it. It lives in a bentwood case when I am not using it.
    Old 02-07-2014, 09:09 AM

Until recently I would have said Janome (my last one was love at first stitch) BUT I have since converted to Pfaff because of their IDT ('built-in' walking foot). I recently bought the new Pfaff Passport specifically for class - in fact I keep mine there!
    Old 02-07-2014, 10:03 AM

I have a BAbylock Audrey for classes and retreats...it's great.
    Old 02-07-2014, 12:35 PM

I bought a Brother XSR-4040 and really like it. It was $69 on ebay. It is really light, but sews like a heavy machine. I think wawak sells it or similar models very cheap! The only drawback to my model is I have to hand crank to bring the needle to the proper position to start the next piece. I put a mark on the hand wheel so it's not a big deal. On my Janome it automatically returns itself to the proper starting position.

The nice thing is the Brother and Janome feet are interchangeable.

I just looked and wawak has Brother CS5055PRW 50 Stitch computerized sewing machine is a Project Runway Limited Edition machine for $138, free shipping! They have great customer service.

http://www.wawak.com/products/produc...ewing-Machine/
    Old 02-07-2014, 12:49 PM
    Power Poster

I use my Featherweight, or my 301A. Great machines!
    Perhaps a small Pfaff, or a Janome. Do you have a local SM shop you can go look-?
    Old 02-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
    I got a brother from Walmart 8 yrs ago for $80 and I love it! Up until last year it was my only machine. I would look for a cheap Brother I think they are always made well
    I have the inexpensive Brother from Walmart also, and I have the high-end Brother quilting machine. Both are fabulous. The biggest difference in them is the high-end one will sew sideways, thread the needle, and cut the thread for me, sew an alphabet, and lots more stitches that I seldom use. It also runs a lot smoother than the less expensive one, but I would not give up the less expensive one for anything, I just put it on two mouse pads to keep the vibration down. It has made two cross country trips under a Greyhound bus, and still works like a champ. Keep them clean and oiled is all I do, and have never had to send mine in for repairs. I have used my inexpensive one almost daily, for 11 years now and it still works like new.
    Old 02-07-2014, 04:19 PM

I have a featherweight and I love it for taking to classes and there is not much to go wrong with them. The newer machines are nice, however they are made with plastic parts that will wear out lots faster than the older vintage machines... What ever works best for you is best. I also have a Janome and it is about 20 years old and no longer works.. My featherweight and 301 are all older and still little workhorses.