Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazines ?? >

Quilting Magazines ??

Quilting Magazines ??

Old 02-22-2014, 05:38 AM

I love Quilter's Newsletter Magazine and The Quilter magazine. I suscribe to both of them. I read them cover to cover.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:44 AM

I have had several, from different companies, but prefer to buy off the newsstand.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:08 AM

McCall's Quick Quilts is my favorite. I am waiting on my first issue of Block to arrive.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaK View Post
I also have had issues (no pun intended) with magazine subscriptions. I want to try a free issue and long before I get the magazine I start getting bills for the subscription. In the future I will just check the issues out at the checkstand and purchase what I want. No more trial subscriptions for me. BrendaK
I am right there with you! I subscribed to one quilt magazine and, before I received the first issue, I was sent a reuest for renewal! I get mine from the newstand now and that works best for me. BUT I am subscribed to the new Missouri Star publicatioin, Block, and can't wait to enjoy a magazine without advertising.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:44 AM

I subscribed to a magazine called Quilt It. Each issue is under $4 and they have nice easy patterns in it which works great for my DH.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I didn't renew any of the quilt magazines this year. I have had them all over the years. I did subscribe to Missouri Star Quilt Co new magazine Block. The first issue is coming out this month!
I also subscribed to the new Missouri Star magazine "Block". I've tried a couple others (when my granddaughter was selling magazines for school) and didn't like either. I love Jenny's tutorials and she makes them look so easy. She uses precuts but you could cut your own.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:06 AM

I stopped all my mag subscriptions when Primitive Quilts and Projects was first released - has been my one and only magazine subscription for the past few years but recently also subscribed to Missouri Star Quilts Block. I must admit that if I spot a magazine cover that intrigues me while shopping, I do purchase.

All-in-all, I "LOVE" Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine and plan never to drop this magazine subscription! Just in case you are interested: http://www.primitivequiltsandprojects.com/
Old 02-22-2014, 07:51 AM

I love quilting magazines, they're kind of a guilty pleasure. I'm not even sure how many I subscribe to right now. Might be as many as 10? I read them all, cover-to-cover, and flag projects I might want to make with a post-it that sticks out like a tab; I write what it is on the tab so I can find things. Right now I'm actually churning through my collection again because I have a pregnant friend and I've never flagged any baby projects, so I need to go search through and see if anything inspires me!

My favorite isn't a traditional quilting 'zine, it's Quilting Arts. I love art quilts and this 'zine is pure eye candy for me. I don't make many art quilts, but I LOVE looking at them. I also really like the 2 new-ish magazines put out by the same publisher - Machine Quilting and Modern Quilts. There are only 3 or 4 of these ones per year, though.

My most favorite out of the more "traditional" magazines is probably the one that's simply called Quilt. They do a variety of projects and it seems to be the 'zine that gets the most flags for patterns I'm actually interested in making.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:45 AM

I've bought at the local shop to see what kind of patterns are in there. I'm not into all traditional, so I've stayed away from them. Many magazines include only one kind of patterns/designs: traditional, contemporary, modern, improv. A few include combinations, Quilt Life has both traditional and improv, I know. Quilting Arts is more contemporary/modern/improv ideas. I too have experienced buying an issue I like many of the patterns/designs in and then once I get the others= not so much. I realized I was really getting a lot of magazines I was reading once and then putting away never to use or look at again, so I'm letting a bunch lapse. Some magazines are now available online, so no paper issue to deal with. You could try that route if you like that format.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:31 AM

I use my library lots. quilting magazines, gardening, books on tape (I listen to books when on the road). Son bought me "To Kill a Mockingbird" years ago which got me started. At the time I was a courier for many banks. I have enjoyed that habit for many years.