Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is It Just Me, Or..... >

Is It Just Me, Or.....

Is It Just Me, Or.....

Old 02-25-2014, 12:28 PM

I used to feel that way when I was new to quilting. I knew if I wanted that quilt the only way I would get it was to jump in and do it. Some were harder than others but I only have one I just gave up on. That is how you learn. Go for it, go slow and study the pattern and instructions. You will find you can do a lot more than you think you can.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:19 PM

Thanks for all the replies y'all! But I tell ya.....it doesn't matter if I CAN do a quilt or not, if it has a bunch of small pieces or requires a lot of precise cutting, I get bored. I've done 2 quilts that I was ready to throw out the window by the time I got done with them. So it's not whether I can figure out how to do a quilt or not.....it's that I don't have the patience to work on the same quilt for over a year. Especially when I have people clamoring for them! LOL!

Donna
Old 02-25-2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by lauriejo View Post
I most definitely am very critical of my abilities. You would think that at 58 I would no longer hear my dad's voice in my head, but I do. If I didn't do something perfectly (even the first time) he would scream at me that I was stupid, a failure, couldn't do anything right, blah, blah, blah. It takes me a long time to work up the nerve to start a project and I usually only sew when I am alone so no one can see my mistakes. Quilting is especially intimidating since my mom's work was so beautiful.
I am so thankful to my parents for being the opposite--telling us we could do basically whatever we put our minds to...

But I'm seeing this kind of treatment around me and it does have an effect on the adult (even adults) who hears it. It seems like I spend days being a cheerleader saying, "You can do it!" or "You're pretty good at this." or "You can do anything--just have to learn how." (These comments directed towards a friend who sews but lacks confidence due to lack of any family/hubby support.)

I've often wondered what people think they gain by being hyper critical of others' efforts.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:09 PM

I think my breakthrough came when I could look at a quilt and see the block construction - opened a whole new world too me!
Old 02-25-2014, 03:58 PM

I am the same. At first I did the easiest, quickest. Now I like a challenge here and there.
Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I think that happens as you develop as a quilter. First we begin to see the "blocks" and are able to break down a pattern. Then as we "make enough quilts" we begin to look for bigger challenges in the more detailed quilts with tinier pieces. Then, as we develop those skills we begin to get more into how to quilt it. I'm not at the last stage yet, but I am enjoying tiny pieces more than I thought I would.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by lauriejo View Post
I most definitely am very critical of my abilities. You would think that at 58 I would no longer hear my dad's voice in my head, but I do. If I didn't do something perfectly (even the first time) he would scream at me that I was stupid, a failure, couldn't do anything right, blah, blah, blah. It takes me a long time to work up the nerve to start a project and I usually only sew when I am alone so no one can see my mistakes. Quilting is especially intimidating since my mom's work was so beautiful.
Lauriejo, my guess is your mom would have loved your work, don't be so hard of yourself enjoy the journey. As for your dad Blah,Blah,Blah.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I've seen a lot of quilts that are simple , but have soo many of the same blocks (especially flying geese) that I will put them on the distant future bucket list.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:05 PM

i think there are times we all want a fast, mindless project to work on and other times an intense labor of love and patience. i generally try and have a couple of things im working on at the same time, one that is simple and one that is harder, or more intricate, like lately it has been applique projects. i also ALWAYS have a hand project for evening times as well. they eventually all get done. but i sure do love looking and collecting pictures and patterns thinking 'i am SO going to make this' and then there it sits!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 PM

Donna, I don't think you're lazy. There are so many quilt patterns, and so little time (and fabric). I am happy at the end of the year if I've made 10 beautiful quilts that were either donated to Project Linus or gifted to one of my nieces or nephews. While I do enjoy doing EPP quilts while traveling, I have no desire to spend an entire year dedicated to doing no other projects other than a single quilt. I guess I have ADQD (Attention Deficit Quilting Disorder) because I like quilts that I can start and finish in 1 - 4 weeks at the most.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 PM

Abby'smom, you just described me to a "T" but for the mug rugs. I find them too small and tedious to make