Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well, I finished my first quilt... >

Well, I finished my first quilt...

Well, I finished my first quilt...

Old 02-26-2014, 06:50 AM

The quilt as your daughter look darling! Keep on quilting you are a natural.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 AM

Your Brother CS6001 is a good machine to start and for a long while for that matter. You should expect many happy quilting days ahead. I found the walking foot on the CS1000i to work fine. It may be that your quilt wasn't basted properly and not taught enough for proper grip by the walking foot. There's a learning curve and certainly you will learn to finesse that foot as you go along. This board is a great resource but I strongly suggest you post a photo when looking for advice. Many on this board are so skilled once they see the quilt they can give very specific advice about how to improve. Have fun with quilting!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:04 AM

You didn't do things wrong on your first quilt, you were just trying different ways of doing things. There is a lesson in every boo boo. Ask me how I know that one! Congratulations on your first one being loved by your 3 year old.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:18 AM

It's a beautiful quilt, jemsister. Your daughter loves it. It's obvious. So, it's your first?? We all have a first..... but we kept going, making more, getting better as we learned. It's a process but most of us love it so much that we're not going to stop anytime soon.

If my first quilt had been a masterpiece that was super fantastic, what would I have had to look forward to? I've enjoyed learning every step of the way. I'm still enjoying new ideas and the challenge of yet another skill to learn. I haven't made the perfect masterpiece yet.... still working up to it.

So, don't be hard on yourself. Enjoy the learning process.... you've already finished one quilt and you have ideas for the next one. We're all in that boat..... loving the whole quilting world.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:30 AM

There some good tutorials on mitering the corners for bindings. Google mitering quilt binding and look for the one that helps you most. Once you get the hang of it, it is so easy you can't remember why you thought it was hard. Practice with some 9 or 10 inch square potholders. That way, even if you mess up several times, you'll still have something useful and you won't feel compelled to rip out any stitches. Potholders are also called "kitchen quilts," if that will make you feel like you are doing the "real" thing.

Can't help you with your machine. froggyintexas
Old 02-26-2014, 08:49 AM

This has really helped me, especially number 3
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...ing_the_Strips
Old 02-26-2014, 08:58 AM

How wonderful to have finished your first quilt. It will get easier and more fun with each quilt.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 AM

Congratulations on finishing your first quilt! Looks like your daughter love it!!! As you do more quilting all of your skills will improve. We all have that "first" quilt.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

If you go to YouTube and in the search engine, type in 'Binding a quilt' and hundreds of videos will come up. Everyone has their own way of doing it, but it usually is just the same. If you type in 'Jenny Doan', you will get many videos on her EASY quilts and her tutorial on binding a quilt. There is a gal who has a video, she's famous, and she uses Elmer's School Glue to do her binding. It is a very easy and nice method. Someone here will know her name.

But Jenny will show you how to make quilts that can be accomplished in a short time, sometimes in a day, usually in a weekend. Check her out. Eleanor Burns is awesome. Type her name in YouTube and you will fall in love with her. I just found her, even though she's been around forever, and she's awesome!!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:09 PM

The little sweetie has an adorable smile, and I sure wish my first quilt looked half as good as yours! I agree with the advice about youtube for binding tutorials and just about anything else you can name, such as working with the walking foot. If it worked properly for you before and you installed it the same way, probably there's a reason why it's not performing correctly now and you need to find out what that's about rather than risk damaging it or you machine. They're supposed to make life easier, not harder.