Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Higher table for cutting?? >
  • Higher table for cutting??

• Higher table for cutting??

Old 08-13-2014, 04:28 AM

I'm using 2 old bookcase bottoms with a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood for my cutting table. I was able to find a company that has a 4' x 8' cutting mat, self-healing with grid on both sides. Had to trim the mat down about a .25" but its working for me. I added a piece of trim along the sides flush with the mat so it will never move on me. Its called Alvin "Magic Mat" and has been working great for me and my blades seem to cut better and longer. Went to find a custom cut mat but couldn't get it in this Magic Mat style so made a larger table to fit the mat. Always have a Plan B when Plan A fails.
    Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 AM

Bed risers are good to use. They give you the desired height you need for cutting. They are not that expensive.
    Old 08-13-2014, 08:13 AM

i made my own cutting table and 35 inches high was perfect for my height and I can not arch back or I get back pain so I can stand straight and cut for longer periods of time.
    Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 AM

I have one and love it!! My back doesn't hurt as I don't have to lean over table like an dining table. Can't pile stuff up on it though but it's perfect for cutting
    Old 08-13-2014, 11:11 AM

My cutting table is a stainless steel food prep table bought used from a restaurant supply store. It is about 35" tall, 40" wide and 32" deep. Right next to it is my chest freezer that is about the same height (yes, my sewing room also doubles as my kitchen storage). My cutting mat sits on the stainless table, but I have lots of extra width by using the freezer top to roll out bolts or stack fabrics etc. My rulers, scissors, rotary cutters etc are all hanging on the wall right over the stainless table and there is a shelf under that table that I use to stack plastic bins full of fabrics and other sewing and quilting supplies.

Also in my sewing room is a banquet table that sits lower, in an L shape to my sewing machines. I keep a cutting mat on that table also for the times I just want to sit and turn in my chair to cut or trim while working with the sewing machine.
    Old 08-13-2014, 12:50 PM
    Power Poster

Since I have trouble standing for any length of time, I sit to cut my fabrics, having the cutting mat right next to me, only standing for short periods if I need to. I've done my rotary cutting like this for years, I guess it's a matter of what you get used to; but if you're going to stand I can see where a higher table would be helpful.
    Old 08-13-2014, 01:01 PM
    Power Poster

I'm 5' 2" and had a physical therapist measure the perfect cutting, ironing, sewing and sitting posistion and height for me. 35" is the cutting height. He said it may feel awkward at first but it was the right height to not put strain on my body. The counterheight dining table is exactly 35". My kitchen counter is lower and I thought it was the perfect height. I never get aches or pains from cutting or sitting to sew after I learned the proper way for me to do it.
    Old 08-13-2014, 01:21 PM

I know my dining set is not cafe' height, or regular height, but it is in between. I don't have any idea what they call that height, but it stands 36" high, and is perfect for me (I am 5'6") to stand for rotary cutting. I have severe back damage in my low back so bending over is never going to happen again. When I went shopping for my dinette, I took my rotary cutter and small mat with me. I guess that makes me some kind of crazy quilter, and I can live with that.
    Old 08-13-2014, 02:22 PM

I have a cheap 6 foot long banquet table. My husband cut pieces of PVC pipe that he put end caps on and placed on each leg. I have a large cutting mat on one side and a large ironing pad on the other. I no longer have backaches and my cutting is more accurate. Mine is approximately waist high.
    Old 08-13-2014, 05:11 PM
    yel

i got 4 bookcases the 3 shelf kind .....[big lots on sale ] put 2 back to back and one on each end ....old counter top .....was a bit short so i made a box of 2x6's just right for me ....and lots of storage under the table .....