Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever done THIS? >

Have you ever done THIS?

Have you ever done THIS?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:50 AM

Tartan has the perfect solution. No, I haven't done that; but the things I have done would fill a small notebook. In fact, yesterday I was sewing a liner for a basket that I keep my scraps in and did something I didn't even know could be done. I had used those flat flower head pins to hold the fabric in place as I sewed the bottom to the sides. I would stop and remove the pin as I approached it, but this time I didn't stop soon enough. Did you know that you can sew a stitch right through the plastic flower? I didn't, but sure enough I had a stitch going right through the head of the pin. Didn't hurt my machine, didn't hurt the needle, broke the thread; but good grief how goofy. Hope the quilt police were off duty.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 AM

I quilted a top for my niece that she had made low and behold she had left a pin in. Luckily I found it and hubby helped me we just clipped the metal off and left the head in the quilt.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. You were right (of course) it was bugging me so much I couldn't sleep and was thinking about this. So when I got up this morning the first thing I did (after making coffee of course) was to look at it closer to figure out the best way to get the pin out. As it turned out the shaft of the pin was facing sideways (parallel to the edge) so I was able to maneuver the ball over and out between stitches pretty easily. The whole pin was intact and is now gone. I put it right in the little Rx jar with the childproof cap I use to store the bent pins and needles so no one gets hurt. I will take it to my LQS when full and the shop owner will add them with hers to dispose of. No more sleepless nights for me! Now if I could just figure out how to post a pic from my IPad I would show you the cute little runner - pin free . Thanks again for all your help!
So glad you solved the problem!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I would find which way the pin was facing and back it off with my fingers until the ball was at a seam. I would see if the ball would fit through the space between the stitches and pull/push it out. If it is under the batt, I would wiggle it through the batt and out through the seam. If the seam is to tight, I would clip a stitch and take out enough of the stitching that I could tie off the ends, remove the pin and hand stitch the opening closed. It would drive me crazy knowing it was in there!
Have had it happen to me and did just as Tartan stated. I just pushed the pinhead to where I could push it out of an inconspicuous spot. Wet the area with the edge of a cloth and it all went back together. Just needed to spread the threads of the fabric a little.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:55 AM

Yep. Done that, but didn't know until years later when I got poked with the pin. I did what Tartan described.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:13 AM

*** I did that (pin with a ball on end) and here is my remedy.
*** Work the pin until you can get the pointed end to come through the fabric (preferably the back),
*** then hold onto the ball with left hand (inside the quilt) and pull the pin with plyers.
*** The ball should come loose (or mine did).
*** Just leave the ball inside - pin is out.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
Ok so I made a darling little English Paper Pieced table runner (took me forever). And have had it on the table for a couple of weeks now. Fine so far, then I set a pretty heavy book on it and later when I removed the book there was a little impression. Just a small little ball INSIDE the binding. Upon further inspection I realized I had left a pin in it and didn't see it as I was hand sewing the binding on, on both sides all the way around as I wanted it completely hand stitched and no part done by machine. I'm sure the metal part of the pin is in the batting. and I don't feel it but I'd hate to have someone get poked by it, especially if I end up giving the runner to someone else. I also hate taking it apart! So would you take it apart or leave it? And have you ever done THIS?
Sewed a pin into the bottom of a backpack purse I made. made a tiny hole inside and worked the pin out then just a couple stitches to hold the hole.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
From the original post, I understood that the ball and the shaft of the pin might be separated. A few snips of thread used to sew on the binding would get rid of the ball, but the shaft is going to be hard to find, especially since you really don't know if it is in there or not. But how would the ball get in there with out the shaft.
A lot of careful squeezing all over will be needed to find the shaft, and then it will come out easily.

LOL, wouldn't be hard for me to fine----------I'm almost magnetic, I think.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

Haven't done it yet but that is just a matter of time
Old 08-18-2014, 05:27 PM

I am a newbie, but my brain tells me I would poke the pin out of the binding up to the ball, and cut off the pin.. You will just leave the ball in it. This way it can't hurt anyone, and it will always be there for memories.. LOL>>