Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
6 month deadline!!! >

6 month deadline!!!

6 month deadline!!!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Oh my! That's alot of sewing/knitting/crocheting! At least you could start on the one for the little boy while waiting to find out gender of baby #2. If you have neutral yarn on hand, I think I'd start with the blankets/onsies as well while waiting.
I agree with this recommendation. Your fingers are going to be going nonstop till the baby gets here.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:41 PM

I never make baby quilts out of boy/girl colors. Usually they're scrappy and just squares. And I make they large enough to use for a lap quilt.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:19 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
She manipulates you, doesn't she? What a list of demands! Make one quilt for the new baby. Kids need to learn that they are not always the center of attention. Unless you really want to fill her list of "wants". Yawn.

sandy
Sandygirl, you hit on one of my pet peeves. Since when do all the kids in the family get a gift when one does! We are raising self important kids with no sense of self or self control!!
Old 01-21-2015, 12:15 PM

Wow, your sister is really booking your time. Hope you didn't have anything else planned on your to-do list during this time. I don't know whether I'd be able to put everything else on hold to fulfill her requests. You are a wonderful sister and aunt.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:14 PM

I would be willing to bet that she has given you that list, so you would have a number of choices as to what to make. If you feel you have to do the entire list just start at the top and work your way down. Enjoy the process and truly enjoy your new niece or nephew
Old 01-24-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by quilting jem View Post
My sister told me today that she's expecting baby #2!!! Then put in a request with an obvious time limit.

I've got to make a quilt for the new baby, and one for her little boy, so that he won't feel so left out when the new baby arrives. She would also like some little crochet jackets, a knitted blanket, a knitted onesie, a quilted onesie/sleep suit...!

There are currently 12 tabs open on my intenet brower, and every colour that could be used for a baby's quilt is on my kitchen table!

She is going to find out the sex, so that will make my colour choices easier - rather than just your neutral purple, green and yellow! She finds out in March, so that leaves me with only 5 months - so I'll have to make sure I have some patterns ready on hand to begin the evening she finds out!
SHE WANTS????????? Go for it if you're tough enough. Otherwise give her 2 or 3 choices and that's it.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
I made this baby quilt from a book panel. There are a lot of panels there that would work for a baby quilt with various settings (alternate with 9 patch, etc.). You could pick one for boy or girl when you find out, or gender neutral theme like animals or alphabet but select complimentary girl or boy fabrics to go with it. This turns out cute but doesn't take much time. Fabric.com has a lot of panels to choose from. I will say, from experience, I never wash panels before I use them, because they frequently are off kilter after being washed and dried, and then are hard to put into a setting like this.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t197496.html
Adorable---------thanks for the idea!
Old 01-25-2015, 10:39 AM

I know I am going against the tide here, but I'd make a quilt for the older child ONLY. There will be all sorts of baby gifts arriving and nothing will be for him. Not sure of his age, but if an I Spy would entertain him, he's pretty young. *We* know that everything isn't about him, but at his age, all the attention to the baby will be hard to take. Not only that, I'd buy a nice blanket for the young one and let big brother know he gets a quilt because he's bigger. He'll have something special to show when the admiring relatives show up to see the baby.

And I wouldn't be fulfilling any wish lists, either, unless I really wanted to. Aren't the onesies inexpensive to buy, compared to the time to make them? And they are outgrown so quickly.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 01-25-2015, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
She manipulates you, doesn't she? What a list of demands! Make one quilt for the new baby. Kids need to learn that they are not always the center of attention. Unless you really want to fill her list of "wants". Yawn. sandy
I agree 100%. If she needs that many thing, she ought to be making them herself or shopping for the items. Your time is valuable. Please let her know it gently.