Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Learned something new about kits and muslin backing >
  • Learned something new about kits and muslin backing

• Learned something new about kits and muslin backing

Old 02-27-2015, 08:55 AM

Sval, a small suggestion. Since you bought from an online source, take a digital photo of the quilt that you are working on, and in the SAME PHOTO the pattern showing what you think you bought. Send it to CT addressing it to Customer Service, and use an Attention-Getting "subject line" on your email, such as PROBLEM with the Kit I bought at CT" so your message will be read and responded to. Your message here to us on QB is very clear communication, so communicate equally clear describing your disappointment to QB. Good Luck. Be sure to tell them WHAT YOU WANT, such as store credit, and tell them you are a repeat customer, for x many years. They will do the right thing, (fingers' crossed). And do update your post and tell us the good news of the outcome.
    Old 02-27-2015, 09:34 AM

I have used very few kit's however I ordered a table topper kit shaped like a flower from the C.T. catalog not long ago. When it came it only had a couple of the fabrics that had been in the picture but I liked all but one. I do have a huge stash and will be able to replace it with something I have there but it will keep me from buying kits from now on.
    Old 02-27-2015, 02:33 PM

If you haven't tried the kits from Hearthside Quilts, you need to. I love their timeless calicoes.
    Old 02-27-2015, 03:05 PM

I'm so sorry that the kit didn't look the same when you started putting it together. I have never bought a kit but have thought about it in the past, I know when we order on online or from a magazine we hope we get the product we order is what is pictured. Related to your kit --For insentience I bought a really pretty dress for my daughter on ebay that says its was a 16 but its a small 16 and doesn't fit. Unlike mine I hope you can fix your quilt with the tea dying.
    Old 02-28-2015, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by sval
    I am just finishing up a Civil War Legacies quilt kit from CT. It is a miniature wall hanging. It was very challenging since the pieces are small. Also, there are 8 pinwheel blocks.
    So I'm looking at it from a distance today and wondering why it isn't thrilling me. I remember loving it when I ordered it. I got the picture out that came with it. It looks nothing the same. The cloth that came in the kit isn't at all like the picture. The background fabric is a solid off white, whereas the picture shows more of a beighish shirting. All the fabrics are much more muted and complimentary in the picture for a more overall blended look. Mine the pieces are popping out of the quilt in a not good way.
    I know kits state that the fabrics might not be the same, but similar. These have affected the whole look of the quilt. I'm not sure I even want to hang it up. That is if I finish the binding.
    Because I put a piece of muslin on the back since it is going on the wall. Why is it so difficult to hand sew through such open weave? It seems it should be easier.
    I'm reminded of the old saying "Buyer beware"
    SVAL
    I would contact the shop and the kit company and give them feedback. Also, if there is a comment page online, I would post a message to let others know.
    Old 02-28-2015, 06:23 AM

It wouldn't hurt to mention that you posted to this board for advice, either.

hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 02-28-2015, 07:20 AM

I don't buy kits very often for this very reason. The one I bought in a shop was a watercolor wall handing and it was wonderful. I get many compliments on it. The only other one I bought was not from CT but from F&P online and it was purple when I thought it would have been blue. I learned my lesson, sometimes colors especially aren't what you think. The fabrics were just as pictured though where in yours they were not. I was able to get my money back (of course I lost postage money both ways) but a reputable company should work with you in order to keep your business, especially since you have bought others that you are happy with. I hope you get a decent resolution on this. And yes, I hope you try the tea dye method. I also think that should help. Good luck!
    Old 02-28-2015, 03:11 PM

SO sorry all of your work isn't what you wanted.So you have some scraps you can try to tea dye? I would hate to dip the whole thing in. Sometimes the tea does weird things to colors.
    I am not a kit buyer because they are never the colors I want. I always want a different color than what is in the kit. I do buy them occasionally. I am waiting for the kit to arrive for the Gravity quilt by Jaybird designs. I hope I like the colors. I am teaching the class. The kit has been delayed once already. They wanted me to have it at least partially made for an event in April.
    Old 02-28-2015, 07:27 PM

I purchased the Baltimore Christmas BOM...I am not in love with all of their fabric choices, so I go to my stash and swap out what I think is better...but for the most part...I'm ok with it. I don't know that I would do a BOM again...it's an expensive way to go..but I REALLY wanted this quilt, and the pattern pack anywhere was almost 80 dollars...so I went for it. It is what it is...you give up your right to fabric choice when you sign on...but you can swap out, and then you have an equal amount of fabric that just might be perfect for another project! Depends on how you look at it, I guess!
    Old 02-28-2015, 07:39 PM

Sounds like you just got a fluke. I second the taking of a photo with both items and sending it to CT for them to see what exactly you are referring to. Maybe ask for a store credit in the amount you think is fair for a similar size kit?