Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cover Wonder Clips >
  • Cover Wonder Clips

• Cover Wonder Clips

Old 06-02-2015, 01:00 PM

I use them a lot to keep pieces in order when I'm moving from design wall to machine. I will clip a whole row together at the seam lines and carefully keep it all together as I'm sewing each seam. That way I can sew a whole row at one sitting and not get anything out of order or turned sideways.
    Old 06-02-2015, 07:39 PM

I got some fake ones from Amazon but noticed too late to return. The clips looked identicle but the plastic case was different and no label. The real difference was that the spring was much weaker. I gave them to my sister she didn't case and will make use of them. I have my 50 pack of real ones but may get another - the multi-colored ones are pretty.
    Old 06-03-2015, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Were the phoney ones so bad you had to return them...just wondering....
    Hi Geri B, unfortunately they were too bad to keep. 8 were already broken (the metal bits had popped out) and the same would likely have happened with one or two uses of the others, also the metal bits were rusty in places and the plastic was not nice and smooth like the real ones, lots of little snags on it.
    Old 06-03-2015, 02:45 AM

I use them when binding my quilt ever since I left a needle hidden in the binding only to be found when I scratched my knee getting into bed.
    Old 06-03-2015, 05:55 AM

I purchased a box of 50 (got a really good deal on Amazon), then I won one of the purple clip holders (goes on your wrist and looks like a chrysanthemum) with 10 colored clips. I can't put all 60 on the holder, but it looks pretty loaded up with all those clips.

I use the clips for holding thicker pieces together when making purses and such; for holding vinyl, PUL fabric or mesh, rather than using pins; and when I am sewing on binding (both hand and machine). I find that the fabric lays flatter using the clips.

Also, when I'm cutting pieces for a new project/quilt, I will clip a post-it with the piece description, rather than pin. I used to use baggies to organize, but then what do you do with a baggie that has "3-1/2" x 6-1/2"" written on the outside? I would trash the baggies. So now I'm being ecologically proactive by not generating more plastic waste. Then, as I finish units (4-patches, flying geese, etc.), I clip them together.
    Old 06-03-2015, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    Helps to hold paper to fabric like applique and such as binding in place while you work on it. Just like another clip. Some use them instead of pins when sewing around edges. I prefer the binder clips you can get at the supply stores. It's all about preference.
    I agree , binder clips and I also use alligator clips, come in all sizes and can be bought at Harbour Freight.
    Old 06-03-2015, 07:40 AM
    Power Poster

I don't have any. I only use hair clippies to hold binding as I hand sew it on.
    Old 06-03-2015, 08:49 AM

I used mine just this week to help with sewing a border on the quilt top. In order to make a more narrow bunched up top, I folded it almost in half from left side to near the sewing area, then folded in half again a time or two. I then used my clippies to hold the edges of folds in place. Easy to manage feeding the border and quilt edge without the weight of the whole left side dropping off the table.
    Old 06-03-2015, 02:22 PM

I put away my silver hair clips when I tried a 10 pack of Clover Wonder Clips when working on my quilt binding. No comparison. Then purchased a couple pkgs. of 50. The clips stay ACCURATELY in their place (& don't 'slip off' your item) where the hair clips 'moved' when snapped shut. You can sew right up to the CWC. I used pins before the hair clips and was always stabbing myself. CWC are well worth the expense. There's no going back!
    Old 06-03-2015, 03:32 PM

In addition to using them for quilting I use them instead of using straight pins to hold fabrics while serging.
    I decided this after breaking my cutting blade on my serger once when I missed removing a pin.