Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which fabric colors do you have plenty?  Which colors/shades missing? >

Which fabric colors do you have plenty? Which colors/shades missing?

Which fabric colors do you have plenty? Which colors/shades missing?

Old 11-02-2015, 06:27 AM

I seem to have a lot of blues - all shades and a great mix if lights, mediums and darks. I also have a great selection of pinks and all sorts of florals. I generally only buy blacks, browns and greens when I need them, especially greens because there are so many different greens out there. I don't generally have gray fabric but then I haven't found that there has been a need for them

I buy baby/juvenile when I need something, same with "manly" type fabrics - just don't keep a stash of them.

At one time I had a great stash of Christmas fabrics, but that stash if slowly going down, which is good, because every year I see great looking fabrics but have held off buying because of all that I had in my stash.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:42 AM

I have quite a few beige fabrics. I had a lot of fabric given to me and it seems the few beige pieces are left from that stash. Brown is also my least favorite color but have made a few fall color quilts with brown and livened them up with orange and gold with great results. I pick up remnants at JoAnns and then do my best to match them with fabric from my stash to make charity quilts. I do enjoy the challenge. I was never one to go and buy everything for one project at the same time. Did that a few times but worrying about running out of a fabric takes the fun and spontaneity out of the project. I seem to gravitate to blue and red.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:18 AM

I was lacking greens, purples and oranges; so I have been purchasing those. I have also been adding Holiday fabrics. These purchases do a pretty good job of rounding out my stash for the time being.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:35 AM

I have more earthy colors - shades of greens, Browns, etc. as I make more wildlife outdoorsy type quilts.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:59 AM

I need lighter blues & I would love to get a collection of 1930's. In the past I have seen so many quilts I would of liked to make but didn't have any 1930's. Also I love the Civil War fabrics. I have a few but not enough for a quilt so if I could I would also get a collection of them also
Old 11-02-2015, 08:04 AM

Most of my fabrics tend to be focal fabrics and coordinating fabrics to go with them. So, I am missing a lot of colors in my stash like greys, reds, oranges, yellows. When I am able to buy fabric again, I think I will try to fill in those holes but not too much. I love vintage 20s and 30s and the reproduction fabrics, so I have a lot of those. Not much kids fabrics, but I want to start making Linus quilts so I need those too!
Old 11-02-2015, 08:29 AM

I started my quilting life in 1989. It seemed that most of what I bought was either floral or darks. Then I found the oriental themed fabrics & went crazy, also the batiks. I realized I had very little in the way of blenders or background fabric! I've started to remedy this, but have a long way to go. I know I'll enjoy getting there tho!
Old 11-02-2015, 09:59 AM

I have lots of blues. I like bright colors so mine tend be be along that line. I don't have any purple because every time I buy some I tend to use it right away. My pinks go pretty quickly as well. I don't have any brown, not my color, only buy it when I need it for something specific. I tend to keep my reds because I am afraid others may not like red as much as I do so I use it sparingly in my quilts unless I know it's for me or someone asks for it.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:37 AM

I tend to have a lot of mediums, especially browns, and am short on teals and soft oranges. But trying to get ready to move, I don't want to add more to my stash right now. Afterwards, now thats another story.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

I seem to have a big variety of fabrics, although I probably have the most in Christmas fabrics, as that's my favorite holiday. Then I have some florals, as well as tone on tone fabrics that I generally use with a larger print focus fabric, plus I like to have plenty of white and beige TOT's, which I love as background fabrics. You could say I have a very eclectic collection in my stash, depending on my mood at the moment, or I will go out and buy certain prints based on what a customer would want. I just enjoy fabric and love to take it out, be reminded of what I already have and imagine what I would do with my stash when time permits.