Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
At least I have plenty of packing material! >

At least I have plenty of packing material!

At least I have plenty of packing material!

Old 08-25-2014, 09:07 AM

Default At least I have plenty of packing material!

I'm moving in four days, and for once I haven't fussed a bit about how much fabric I have, because I haven't had to purchase a single bit of cushioning...between using liquor boxes with the inserts still inside them, and using my fabric still wrapped on the cardboards, I'm good as gold! The fat quarters are good for wrapping knick knacks and unboxed items that go loose into a box, and the best part is I'm almost done! One more trip to the liquor store for boxes and I should have enough to finish the job. I'd rather throw out some empty boxes rather than be short.

I've hired a moving company to schlep my stuff down the three flights of stairs and then into the ground floor apartment where I'm moving. I had a friend over and I mentioned I would have to procure more boxes. His response? I should have the movers move what's already packed, then I should empty the boxes and bring them back to the old 3rd floor apartment and pack what's left.

IS HE NUTS??? That's kind of the whole purpose of hiring people to do the schlepping in the first place! File that idea under things to make you shake your head on the way to the liquor store ... to pick up more boxes ... or whatever!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

I like your idea of having the moving companies employees do the schlepping. My friend is moving next door to her current apartment and is looking for help. Going to call her and throw the idea at her.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
I'm moving in four days, and for once I haven't fussed a bit about how much fabric I have, because I haven't had to purchase a single bit of cushioning...between using liquor boxes with the inserts still inside them, and using my fabric still wrapped on the cardboards, I'm good as gold! The fat quarters are good for wrapping knick knacks and unboxed items that go loose into a box, and the best part is I'm almost done! One more trip to the liquor store for boxes and I should have enough to finish the job. I'd rather throw out some empty boxes rather than be short.

I've hired a moving company to schlep my stuff down the three flights of stairs and then into the ground floor apartment where I'm moving. I had a friend over and I mentioned I would have to procure more boxes. His response? I should have the movers move what's already packed, then I should empty the boxes and bring them back to the old 3rd floor apartment and pack what's left.

IS HE NUTS??? That's kind of the whole purpose of hiring people to do the schlepping in the first place! File that idea under things to make you shake your head on the way to the liquor store ... to pick up more boxes ... or whatever!
Most men think differently from most women.
It's made my life easier after I figured that out.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Most men think differently from most women.
It's made my life easier after I figured that out.
So True!

My only fear about using the fabric as packing material is that DH would actually find out how much fabric I have!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I like your idea of having the moving companies employees do the schlepping. My friend is moving next door to her current apartment and is looking for help. Going to call her and throw the idea at her.
If she doesn't have one, have her go buy or borrow a large office chair. That was a lifesaver for moving my niece a short distance. Just load up a few boxes on the chair and stroll next door! You can also buy a dolly that is flat with wheels, that they move plants with, for about $10 at HD. Stand the couch on end and push. We had a whole truck unloaded in no time that way. No men involved! Just an idea...
Old 08-25-2014, 02:11 PM

Maybe you could lie a bit, saying you borrowed some?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:34 PM

My daughter finished her Master's program and a friend needed an extra roommate so the decided to move. She was trying to hire someone to help because it is just so much easier and faster. But her new roommate found out, said he would grab one of his friends and they would help her move. (It was really just a bedroom set, clothes, tv, stereo and a various personal items.) It saved her a couple hundred dollars.

My sister-in-law wants to move she wants to do the rental vehicle and have people help her for free. I told her that was fine when everyone is in their 20's-30's but we are now in our 60's, neither my husband nor I can lift what we used to, and my daughters are up to doing much of that either. She is also one of those people that stand over you and tell you to be careful all the time. She is no obnoxious about it, no one wants to help her, she kind of used up her favors with moving years ago. So I told her if she can't afford to hire movers she can't afford to move. Not a very popular position, but sometime she has to face reality.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

We have lived in the same place for 45 years. No plans to ever move.
I have moved stuff from room to room. To move large objects on carpeting (all gone now) I use big black trash bags underneath and just push and guide it where it needs to go. On wood floors (all I Have now) I turn rubber backed rugs upside down get it underneath and push away. I have moved boxes like that too. As we age we must use our heads more .
Good luck with the move.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
We have lived in the same place for 45 years. No plans to ever move.
I have moved stuff from room to room. To move large objects on carpeting (all gone now) I use big black trash bags underneath and just push and guide it where it needs to go. On wood floors (all I Have now) I turn rubber backed rugs upside down get it underneath and push away. I have moved boxes like that too. As we age we must use our heads more .
Good luck with the move.
Push with your head!!
Old 08-26-2014, 02:26 PM

I'm remodeling my kitchen the currently have all my kitchen stuff packed in boxes in the dining room. I didn't have to pack it as well as if I were moving, but still needed a bit of cushioning between some of the dishes. I used all my spare towels and then used some of my fabric. It works like a charm! I'm going to remember that if I ever do move. Especially since I have so much fabric. I could probably pack my whole house!