Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help deciding on machine... >

Need help deciding on machine...

Need help deciding on machine...

Old 01-24-2016, 03:31 AM

Storm, your head dows spin when considering machines. I think that one way to start narrowing your choices down will be how does the machine feel to YOU. Ergonomics and gut feelings are great indicators in choosing what to purchase...for anything. Take your time and start eliminating . Machines from ne vendor to another will be comparable in features and pricing. That is just basic marketing. You will make compromises. It is your decision
sandy
Old 01-24-2016, 07:56 AM

Storm,

I have been quilting since 2003 and have owned 4 sewing machines in that time. My most recent purchase, Janome 8900, met all of the items on my checklist and kept me within a reasonable budget.

In deciding to buy the Janome, I made a list of the features that I had to have and then went to the various manufacturers websites and determined which machines fit my wishlist.

Since free motion quilting was the most important, I made quilt sandwiches and took them with me when I went to try out the machines. I ended up making my decision based on the quality of the fmq I got on those sandwiches.

I was VERY tempted by a machine that was an amazing deal; however, I just couldn't spend that much money on a machine.

I know that there are many people here who believe that dealer support is very important. I am very hands on and can usually figure something out on my own. In addition, I have had no dealer support on my last 2 machines and the dealer I bought the Janome from hates Janome (have no idea why she sells them) and would have much rather sold me a Brother. I know I can call/visit her if I run into trouble, but her attitude is a little much, so I would rather figure it out on my own. I believe that dealers are somewhat important, but for me, not a deal breaker.

Figure out which machines fit your wishlist/budget, go try them out and trust your gut. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:19 AM

I am looking to buy a new machine - exciting and overwhelming! I am keeping my Bernina 1010. I have tested a Bernina 350 and a Juki DX7. Would appreciate any comments/ suggestions!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:19 AM

]I am looking to buy a new machine - exciting and overwhelming! I am keeping my Bernina 1010. I have tested a Bernina 350 and a Juki DX7. Would appreciate any comments/ suggestions!
Old 01-25-2016, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sharonquilts View Post
Take a look at the Juki line if you have a local store nearby.
I tested a Juki DX7 - new on the market September 2015. Does anyone have info on these? I have a 25 yr old Juki serger that has been a workhorse!
Old 01-26-2016, 01:07 AM

Thank you all so so much for your suggestions and input. I keep looking at all the different machines. I think I might have finally narrowed down my choices!!! I am going to another janome dealer this weekend (hopefully with more luck) and a juki dealer. The f300 looks like it might have everything I want including a larger throat space!!!
Old 03-10-2016, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
I've had a Janome 3160 for about 5 years. I paid $550 at the time. It has been a wonderful machine. I "graduated" to a much larger throat, but still love this one for classes and back-up.
I am considering the 3160 for classes. I have a 6600p and a new 8900 but both weigh close to 30 pounds and I don't think it's good for the machine to be hauled around so much.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:04 PM

Check them all and take your time when sewing a test at a store. Don't let the dealer rush you. You might consider a used machine considering your budget. You might get more bang for your buck. Also no matter what machine you choose, a great service department in your store is crucial. I love my Bernina but had Viking for years. The service at our Viking store went downhill and I just could not bond with my last Viking. I switched to Berninas and still have the first one I purchased. I traded in my second one for their top of the line model with all the bells and whistles with embroidery.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:37 PM

Hello,
I have a Janome 3050, called a (Decor 3050 here in the UK). I treated myself to it about 4 years ago - after a lot of research - and I love it. It does not have a large throat, mine has a needle up and down button, and auto tension - bliss. My old electric machine nearly made me insane! I have made and quilted about 7 lap quilts, along with curtains, tote bags and some dresses for my grandchildren. It does have some fancy stitches, and there was quite a few feet that came with it. I have treated myself to another slightly larger Janome machine - mainly for the throat size. I am self taught - blogs, U tube and so on. I would say that the 3050 is a good entry machine. I have not had any problems with mine (fingers crossed that none will occur now!) Now, to teach myself, and practice, practice FMQ. Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:12 AM

I bought the Janome new home quilters machine. It is amazing. It was 599 on hsn. If you want to spend around 800, go for the Juki f600. It is quite a bit bigger and worth the extra.