What would you do?

Old 05-04-2016, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

If she's near by, take her to price premade & to the fabric store to price fabric. That should change her mind about making them!! LOL
Old 05-04-2016, 05:32 AM

I want to thank everyone for such good advice on this. I found that the Christmas Tree Shop, I think it's local to New England, has a website where they have lovely curtains and drapes at a very good price. As luck would have it I received a $10 coupon from them in an email and sent the info to DIL. She is going to stop by her local CTS in So. Portland, ME and was thrilled that she would be able to get enough window coverings for the entire new apartment for a much lower price.

I told her, if she still wants drapes, we can make a few at a time from now until winter. It gets cold up here in Maine so drapes are always a good choice in the winter here, insulated ones even better :-).
Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 AM

I needed long sheer drapes for my military home here in AZ. It is a historic home with long narrow windows that we were only living in for 3 years. I found some nice curtains at www.overstock.com that did not cost a mint. I spent about $250 and it covered 11 windows!
Old 05-04-2016, 04:56 PM

Default Curtains for apt.

Yes I agree , have your DIL go to a fabric store and have them figure the cost. I am sure she will change her mind. She could put blinds up which might be cheaper. I would not invest a lot for a rented apt. I have found nice sheets on sale for curtains and made valances which turned out nice. But those are large windows which will be very expensive. I would go with blinds and a valance. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:19 PM

I think a math lesson needs to be scheduled. I can tell you that a bolt of fabric will not cover ten windows that are 84 inches long. And, there is lining, drapery tape, etc. etc. I would not recommend such an expenditure for an apartment that you do not own. I spent a lot of years making draperies (not drapes) as a private marketeer. My husband helped with the installations. I would recommend valances that are simple, adjustable and rod pocketed. If rod pocketed they can more easily be used in other spaces later. Use mini-blinds or verticals with valances and you re right in style.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

Try IKEA. Their panels are pretty decent and as low as $20.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:39 AM

You can find a lot of good deals on drapes on the internet. My personal opinion is it is too expensive to buy fabric for that many windows. Cheaper to go buy them made.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

Silky feeling Poly would be a better choice of fabric for drapes then cotton and is inexpensive. I bought a bolt at an upholstery fabric shop for $1 yard to make tablecloths for a church banquet. All she has to do is put a hem all around with a double hem at top for the rod to go through. Not that difficult.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:20 AM

When we were moving more often, I used Country Curtains. They have a free catalog, good quality products and excellent service. Google it.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:56 AM

I spent the week with a college classmate from 1954. Her daughter had just asked her to line drapes for their second floor den. She purchased drapery lining and I helped her cut them. She will have 4 panels of 84" by 54" to line. I helped her to cut and press the seams to line the panels. That alone is a hard job. She needs to try to find some already finished. I would not attempt such a time-consuming job.