Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Uneven Blocks >

Uneven Blocks

Uneven Blocks

Old 07-28-2016, 07:57 AM

It is a very nice top you've made. Perhaps you could do something funky like turn a wonky block sideways, adding a bit of filler if the blocks are rectangles instead of true square. Perhaps every other could be turned, or even every other row.............
Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Grammahunt View Post
It is a very nice top you've made. Perhaps you could do something funky like turn a wonky block sideways, adding a bit of filler if the blocks are rectangles instead of true square. Perhaps every other could be turned, or even every other row.............
My thoughts exactly! With the black and white checks it is perfect for a wonky setting! Let me see if I can find a picture on line.

Found the ruler and pattern! Here is the link. I am thinking a solid reading fabric in either black or white. Then the whole thing will look intentional.

http://www.checkernewsletter.com/?p=6755

I just noticed that it was an aussie site. I am pretty sure if you do some research you will find something similar here in the states.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-28-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:32 PM

Beautiful, eye catching colors! My suggestions:

1) Very narrow (1/2" to 3/4") black sashing between blocks.
2) Rotate blocks - have one heart with bottom towards bottom of quilt. Turn the block next to it so the bottom of the heart is towards the top of the quilt. Repeat across row. Next row, reverse the direction of hearts (if facing down, turn up, etc.).
3) Make a row of sideways hearts (points don't need to match in this row). Then a row of right side up hearts, a row of sideways hearts (going in opposite direction from first sideways row), then a row of upside down hearts. By using sideways rows, you can use the blocks where the points don't match. Each of the rows will be facing a different direction.

Just my humble 2 cents...I love your colors and the overall look of the quilt! It will end up fine, no matter what you decide to do.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:22 AM

I think this is lovely - why are you worried about them matching perfectly? this is quilting after all....little mismatched areas are what make an artist an individual....it looks fantastic to me....!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by bjchad View Post
If they are pretty close you could match the points on the hearts and adjust the seams where the blocks come together the other way to compensate.
I agree with this. If you don't want the narrow sashing, then match up all the ends of seams and match seam lines. Then stretch, squeeze the rest to get it to lay flat. A stiletto works well here. Ease it in.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:13 AM

How about turning them? on point? then you would only have to get at most, the middle row of 5 to match pretty well. Or even just turning all of the blocks going in different directions. Neither of these suggestions may work out...but ya won't know if you don't try I'd say play around with the lay out unless you just have to have them straight in rows.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:32 AM
mac

Your blocks are almost matching. Remember that when you quilt it they will move a little bit more and when you wash the quilt you won't be able to tell that they aren't perfect at all.

If it is a wall hanging, I think that adding the strip in between the blocks will distract the eye enough that you won't be able to tell at all. Besides, from a distance you won't be able to tell, you are only noticing it because you are extremely close to the project and working on it with a bird's eye view. Back up a few feet and all your perceived mistakes melt away!
Old 07-29-2016, 08:47 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554832[/ATTACH]Another idea, is to turn all the hearts different directions with the sashings, as indicated by others.
Attached Thumbnails heart-quilt-2.jpg  
Old 07-29-2016, 08:59 AM

Solid black sashing would make the colors pop and probably alleviate the mismatch problem.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:01 AM

If you make them square in a square with black fabric, the hearts would all be on the diagonal. You could alternate directions like zig-zags.

If you laid them in sets of 4, the hearts would look like petals of a flower. You could either leave off your last column (4 blocks by 6 blocks), or make another column of 6 more hearts. Or you could make two more hearts and put two more "flower" sets of 4 hearts each at the bottom. The last choice makes your quilt 4 blocks by 8 blocks, which is long & skinny, but if you had pretty side borders, it could work.