Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Frixion marking pens >

Frixion marking pens

Frixion marking pens

Old 08-12-2016, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use Crayola Ultra Clean Washout markers too. I wish I could buy only the darker markers in a package. I don't use the light color ones. I bought many packages of them at the back to school sale at Walmart.
I have used Frixion pens but only on seams and areas where they will not show. If you use the Crayola Ultra Clean Washout Markers, be sure to follow the laundering directions on the package. It is not enough to remove marks with just a wet cloth.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:22 AM

I have never had a problem with mine not working. I love them, but I am careful about where I use them. I have been told that the marks reappear in cold weather. I would return yours. The blue water erasable markers are the ones that give me trouble. They always dry up quickly. I have had one dry up before I finished marking a baby quilt.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:32 AM

Maybe put them in the freezer for a little while. Cold makes the marks reappear so maybe that would help the ink flow? Just a thought
Old 08-12-2016, 04:47 AM

I had the same problem! I bought a set and only two actually made a mark. I put them in a cup with a small amount of water and let them set for a while. When I recapped them, each was marking again. Not sure how long it will last but doing now!
Old 08-13-2016, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
I'm sorry you are disappointed. i love them!!! i don't use anything else.
Love mine too!!! I use them almost daily and have had mine for a long time.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by SB13 View Post
I do a lot of hand quilting and have always been leery of these pens as they come back with cold. I live where it gets really cold. Plus they were not made for material? I have used Roxanne chalk pencils for years and have even had problems with the silver one not coming out completely. Have tried all kinds of quilt marking pencils, and have trouble with everyone including using just a pencil lightly. There always seems to be a trace. Then I heard of people using crayola wash out markers. So I got a Pack. (ultimate washout). Took the darkest color in there and wrote all over several different light fabrics. Then I even ironed it, added steam as a lot of times I have to repress as I'm quilting. They washed out of every single piece of fabric I tried it on! Even used hot water as that is what I use for first time washing. They did say do not get the knock off brand, get Crayola, and they even come in a fine line to get into the stencil lines. I'm sold on them!
I found a set of washable crayolas at Dollar General yesterday for $1.50. I figured for that price I can test them to see if they'll come out of fabric. The sale only goes through today, I believe. I love doing red work and would like to use something that washes out. Sometimes I tweak the plan so I don't want to use permanent markers.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:36 AM

I use the Ultraclean Crayola markers as well, done with the pencils, disappearing ink, etc. The price makes them is user friendly too.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

I have never had a problem with them.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:39 PM

That shouldn't happen. I think you got some old/bad pens.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Buy a product that was actually designed for marking fabric.
this is not true, the company tells you that it wasn't designed for fabric and to caution. I use them and love them but that's not what they were designed for. If I bought some that seemed dried out I'd take them back. I have some that are over 5yrs old and they are still going strong.