Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Bonnie Hunter has posted colors for this year's mystery >

Bonnie Hunter has posted colors for this year's mystery

Bonnie Hunter has posted colors for this year's mystery

Old 10-30-2016, 05:43 AM

So do you guys think these mystery quilts are for more advanced Quilter's? Think someone more on the beginner side would be able to follow along? I recognize a lot of your names and have seen your work! You are not slouchers!!
Old 10-30-2016, 05:59 AM

The most "advanced" quilts are still only one seam at a time. Line up two edges of fabric and sew a 1/4 inch seam. If you can cut a shape w/ accuracy and sew a 1/4 seam, you will be fine. Well as long as you don't mind repeating it 150 to 300 times.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I may be the only person left w/o a pintrest account. I hate that they make you sign in just to look.
No different then signing in here. This board has ads that track you.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
No different then signing in here. This board has ads that track you.
You have to sign in to comment on this site, but not to just look.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
So do you guys think these mystery quilts are for more advanced Quilter's? Think someone more on the beginner side would be able to follow along? I recognize a lot of your names and have seen your work! You are not slouchers!!
fizzle, I classify myself as a confident beginner and I did Bonnie's mystery quilt last year--it was my very first mystery quilt! My assessment is that her quilts are a bit of a challenge because she uses more and smaller pieces than I had ever used before, and with more triangle pieced units. Mine came out FAR from perfect, but I really learned a lot from the process and her instructions. And as Kassundra said, it is only one seam at a time! I encourage you to jump in---we all need to be stretched, challenged a bit out of our comfort zones, to increase our skills. It is NOT a race, and as long as you remember to print out all the weekly instructions, you can take months to do it---like me!!
Old 10-30-2016, 03:44 PM

QuiltsRFun, thanks for posting your Connecting Threads possibilities. I'd like to do this quilt, but magenta is not a color I like at all. Your combination is really pretty.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:09 AM

I agree with Jeanne S, Fizzle. Her patterns have smaller pieces and lots of triangles but they are doable. It's fun to give it a try and see what she comes out with each week. My only issue is the printer friendly directions print out too many photos so directions get lost in the story but, that's what makes the story. I often have to highlight or outline in a separate notebook exactly what she is asking. The volume of what she is asking for usually is high but I only do half to begin with. It's enough to get a good feel of the quilt. I don't even try to keep up with the weekly posters. Some ladies are super fast and have it done quickly.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I did the Celtic Soltice and it took me about 18 months--the key is to print out the directions and do a block or two (she usually has 2-3 blocks repeated)so that you have a chance to see if it works--you can always finish later. it was the first time that I really aimed to do a scrappy quilt and I loved the results. One thing that I don't like about the mystery is the suggestion to buy another ruler--but sounds like she's going to also include Accuquilt cutting directions--sure hope so as I have the triangle in a square die and others that may work--not sure about the easy Angle ruler, but do have the other one she mentioned.
i thought she said she was NOT going to include die cutting info ....as it reveals too much..whatever that means?

wondering?. Does she design these quilts herself, or has "staff". I've never done her mysteries, but do like some of her scrappy ideas......
when she travels/teaches.... What is the subject matter? Never had the chance to attend one.......just curious about the " person"
Old 10-31-2016, 05:30 AM

Geri B, I thought Bonnie said she would include die cut information as it becomes needed in her directions. I thought that is what she wrote, but I could be wrong. I could go look at her first posting, I guess...............
Old 10-31-2016, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
I hadn't planned on doing the mystery this year. But these mysteries are so much fun that I think I'll go ahead and Take the plunge. I'm really stretching myself this year by choosing my own colors. To simplify things I'm using only one fabric for each color. And I've decided to do it in solids. This makes my shopping easier. I've already got the colors and fabric picked out from Connecting Threads. Just one decision is holding up my order. Which of the three color ways do I want to make? Are we posting fabric etc. in this thread or is there another one?
Thread for those who are doing the mystery -- great fabric choices have been posted:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...e-t283327.html