Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What's the smallest size scrap you save? >
  • What's the smallest size scrap you save?

• What's the smallest size scrap you save?

Old 12-18-2017, 07:41 PM

I save anything I can get the seams in for a crumb block. A couple of my 4" square blocks have 52-53 different fabrics in them, so I'd say whatever floats my boat on that particular day. I also make doggie beds mostly with odd sized pieces I really can't use and leftover batting scraps that are too small to seam. I keep my crumbs in a storage tote, and I keep strings in a separate tote. Crumb blocks are my favorite block to make.
    Old 12-19-2017, 03:39 AM

I give all of my scraps to a friend. She only makes scrap quilts.
    Old 12-19-2017, 05:02 AM

I generally follow Bonnie Hunters scrap user syste: 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3.5, 5 inch strips or squares. I've tried crumb and string piecing and found that they are not for me. I rarely use 1.5, mostly 2 inch pieces and 3.5 inch pieces.
    Old 12-19-2017, 06:57 PM

For the most part I don't use them. I've found I don't do scrappy, or crumb or postage stamp. I don't like fiddling with little pieces. I should add while I don't use them...I haven't tossed them in awhile.
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:05 PM

I only save batik scraps in tiny sizes, because I like to make mini log cabin blocks. I do cut my thirties into 2 1/2 squares for a future grandmother's flower garden and into wedges for a double wedding ring. Any prints that I have leftover, I give to the free table at the quilt guild.
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:11 PM

I save everything. The pieces smaller than 1" x 2" I donate to a lady who makes pet beds for the dog shelter. I love scrappy quilts and hate fabrics at $12 a yard going to the land fill when they can be used.
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:13 PM

I appliqué more and more so I save tiny pieces in ziplocks by color or "type" of pattern like "Hawaiian" or "Patriotic" etc. I'll toss some out if I have a bolt of the same fabric. I have a several bolts I use for backing on charity quilts or whatever.
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:14 PM

For making quilts, I generally don't save anything smaller than a 2.5" square or 1.5" wide strip. However, scraps that are an inch up to those sizes go into bins that I use for sew-off+sew-ons that I use at the beginning and end of my strip piecing to keep the machine from eating my blocks.
    Old 12-19-2017, 07:46 PM

I love confetti quilts. And lately I've been doing improv in which small pieces are sewn together. And, I've also been making coasters with very tiny scraps. So I've started saving everything. Those screw holders sound like a good possibility for saving them.
    Old 12-19-2017, 08:36 PM

Please do not throw away any scraps, make a pillowcase, any size, small to large, from your What was I thinking fabric, or denim pieces, or especially good-the old knit polyester fabric. Fill it with all the scraps you will never use, including batting scraps, sew the end shut & donate it to your local animal shelter for a pet bed.

I keep a dollar store laundry hamper by my cutting table, all unusable scraps go into it. To make it even easier line the hamper with the pillowcase so when it is full just lift it out & sew the end shut. Our local shelters love those beds, when they get too dirty they can then throw them away but in the meantime they have given a homeless animal comfort. I recently found out our shelter has other volunteers who make washable covers for the beds so they can use them longer.