Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the smallest size fabric scrap worth keeping? >

What is the smallest size fabric scrap worth keeping?

What is the smallest size fabric scrap worth keeping?

Old 10-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Even if it's just to donate to someone else?

I am grappling with this now that I have the use of an Accuquilt Go! The scraps might be just one inch wide tapering six inches down to nothing. Should I keep scraps that small? I know that some people might use them to stuff pincushions, or use them for fusing snippet landscapes, but that's definitely not me. I'm a larger scrap sort of person; about 3 inches in every direction is probably my smallest useable size.

What I am wondering is if I should be saving the smaller scraps for someone else who might be able to use them. Is this worthwhile? If so, how do I find these people. If not, should I be throwing the scraps in the garbage or into recycling for Goodwill (I assume to be made into paper)?

I read years ago that we should not put fabric scraps out for birds nests because fabric doesn't dry out fast enough after a rain, endangering baby birds in the nest. So, that option is out for me.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

I'm making a postage stamp quilt, where the squares measure 2cm finished. (because I couldn't get any 1 inch graph paper at the time I started iit) I use one and a quarter inch squares of fabric, so sit and trim my scraps to that size, then I still find it difficult to throw away what is left!
Old 10-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

The small paper piecing person could use many of the smallest scraps. Some of those pieces are great for that.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

blueribbontoes is collecting scraps in all colors for an extensive hexagon quilt. Her size is 3/4" to 1"

When I have scraps, I kind of decide by intuition and by how much fabric I have left when all is cut. The less fabric I have left, and the more I like the color, the smaller the scraps.

I have a "scrap bin" - a tall Rubbermaid tub, that all my small odd cuts go in. As I read about people needing a certain color, I rummage through the stash to see if I can share.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

I keep a basket for the bigger scraps. When full, I use the Go cutter to make 2 in. hexagons or triangles or squares. The strips of scraps I do end up with after that I toss. I don't feel guilty tossing my scraps.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:31 AM

I work with tiny pieces all the time. I love to do scrappy quilts. My latest project has been making a crumb quilt. I'm figuring next year I'll be making alot more scrap quilts as money will be a tiny bit tighter as I will be on maternity leave next Spring. lol I have two big, and two small rubber maid containers filled with scrap fabrics for future projects.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I read years ago that we should not put fabric scraps out for birds nests because fabric doesn't dry out fast enough after a rain, endangering baby birds in the nest. So, that option is out for me.
Cotton is made of the same cellulose as grasses that birds would use - that makes no sense to me at all. As to size, it depends on what you are using it for. Kids' arts and crafts classes would love scraps too small to sew
Old 10-17-2009, 11:40 AM

I cut strips from my odd shaped remnants. I have a couple large totes of 1 1/2" strips and three of 2" strips. I like to go through them and make quilts just from that stash. Last year I made a series of baby quilts, wall quilts and tablerunners - I made 9 things from 1 1/2" strips before I got tired of it.

The strips might only be 4 or 5" long, but since they are in the appropriate tote, I use them all.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

I save all mine. I'm just sure I will need that one scrap for something in my next quilt.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:44 PM

I save just about everything and pass on the smallest scraps to people who will use them. I prefer 2 inch and larger pieces....but I've not yet started applique LOL.

Someone can always use them. I donate what I can't use to a local non-profit agency.