Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the smallest size fabric scrap worth keeping? >

What is the smallest size fabric scrap worth keeping?

What is the smallest size fabric scrap worth keeping?

Old 04-18-2010, 06:41 AM

As I sew I cut scraps into "Lumber" pieces...4 x 4, 1 x 8, 2 x 4, etc. I do strip quilting and crazy quilting and use pieces as small as 1" square. I also keep a tub full. Took one to a class yesterday and shared with ladies who had no scraps. We were doing strip quilting. It was fun to share. There is always someone who needs lots of scraps. I think an exhcnage or knowing someone to send them to would be great.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:01 AM

I keep all but sliver! But I am trying to make myself through away the thumb size pieces. Sometimes I worry about myself. Ha Ha
Old 04-18-2010, 10:01 AM

the smallest I keep is 2" sq
Old 04-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

i'm an appliquer and so i keep even really little scraps, but keep what you will use and pass on the rest...
i keep a flat-rate box under my cutting table, as i'm cutting any scraps i don't want to keep i toss in the box (within what i consider reasonable, i toss the frayed edges, itty-bitty bits ect.) there are a number of people here who will happily accept your scraps...i put out the call when my box is pretty full and see who all wants some scraps...if my scraps fit into their requirements i send it out...i do not ask anything for this, it is great for me to just get them gone...some times people will offer to pay postage or make some sort of trade, what ever you would like can be worked out.
another (closer) option is school art programs, with budget cuts lots of teachers are providing arts & crafts activities out of their own pockets and will happily accept your scraps.
i have a pre-school here that i do fun things with off & on, one of the kids favorite things to do are make 'treasure boxes'. i find boxes with lids (like file/printer paper boxes )for each kid...we dump out a whole garbage bag of scraps...the kids put glue all over their box and start (decoupaging) fabric strips all over theri boxes...they have a blast, the boxes turn out great,
started this about 9 years ago when my first granddaughter was in pre-school, i know 5 of those kids from the first time who still have their box and still make them, give them as gifts.
so,
don't just throw them away, but don't save them either (they easily can take over and bury you:( ) :cry:
there is someone here on the board who is requesting salvages...everything is recycleable.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Power Poster

a quilting friend told me one day (right after the quilting bug bit me) Colleen, don't be a string saver...throw those scraps away....
well you know what...i've made some pretty cool string quilts...
so there lyn....
Old 06-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Google Goddess

wow, thanks for this thread
Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 AM

I save all my scraps. I send selvage edges to someone on the board. Another board's DM uses small pieces (no smaller than 1" sq.) so I send them to her. I make scrappy quilts from time to time so I save the scraps for these. Now after reading this thread I want to make a crumb quilt! Thanks for the info!!