Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Crumbs..the smallest to the biggest...

  1. #1
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    36
    I have always got bags of these wonderful, colorful, scraps anywhere from 2" x 2" and up. What are crumbs actually? And what is the best, cheapest way to send them. In an envelope, box etc. I would love it if you could share with me on the info. I know there are plenty of people out there who could use and would like to get a package. How much can you stuff into a container etc. Anyone wiht experience? I have a lot of crumbs ready to find a new home. I cut kits for charities and always have scraps around. Thank you for your time. :D

  2. #2
    Super Member no1jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,094
    If you send a envelope full, it would probably be cheaper to go media mail.

    If you send a box full, you might want to check out the flat rate boxes from the post office.

  3. #3
    Super Member roseOfsharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    Hi, Well the Post Office has mailers small , medium and large... small is 4.95 Medium is 10.70 and large is 14.70 these are boxes and can hold whatever you can put in em up to 80 lbs I think it is... anyway that is one option... and of course there are the envelopes you can get for mailing the squishy kind they go by weight and postage is set. Hope this helps out.

  4. #4
    Super Member Chele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Belle Isle, Florida
    Posts
    6,737
    Media mail only works if it's a book. Even magazines do not qualify. :( The priority mail envelopes can be stuffed. I've seen people get six+ yard in one! And if you print the postage online it's less expensive and you get delivery confirmation free.

    I'd love to send some fun scraps to someone. First one to send me their address gets some wild scraps. I wish I could send everyone a batch, but until I win the lottery...

  5. #5
    Super Member ScrapQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,113
    Would love to have scraps in you still have them

    Sending you a PM

  6. #6
    Super Member roseOfsharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    I would not mind a care package.

  7. #7
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    36
    roseOf sharon. I am pm'ing you. I love the name. I have 12 roseofsharons growing down the back driveway. so colorful a bush. TTYL

  8. #8
    Pineapple Princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,187
    Anyone else need to clean out their fabric stash? :-D

  9. #9
    Super Member Honchey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Central Jersey & Calabash,NC
    Posts
    3,893
    Hi, I LOVE SCRAPS !!And I know you may think I'm crazy-- but I love to get Mail too! I am making some crumb blocks and also some of the wrapped rope rugs. Every little bit helps. Anne

  10. #10
    Junior Member HapaMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Texoma Land
    Posts
    244
    Uhhhh, I've been throwing away anything smaller than 2" coz I just can't do anything that smal ... oops! Guess I'll save up and give away for the shipping. I'm working on a few projects right now and after reading this thread, still don't see what's the smallest size to save or do I just save it all?

  11. #11
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    You might want to post this in the Sale/Trade section. More people will respond there.

  12. #12
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    I'd love some crumbs! You can jam a lot into the flat rate boxes from the P.O. That's probably the easiest way to send them.

  13. #13
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Quote Originally Posted by HapaMom
    Uhhhh, I've been throwing away anything smaller than 2" coz I just can't do anything that smal ... oops! Guess I'll save up and give away for the shipping. I'm working on a few projects right now and after reading this thread, still don't see what's the smallest size to save or do I just save it all?
    I can use anything as small as 1" square. So yeah, pretty small!

  14. #14
    TanyaMas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    358
    is there a difference between scraps and crumbs... i have a drawer full of scraps that just sit there accumulating...a lot are in strips or oddly shaped lol
    in order for them to be crumbs to send out, do they need to be ironed and cut to specific shapes or sizes?
    im rather horrible in the cutting dept. (tis why ive started buying more precut squares) lol

  15. #15
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    Crumbs are just the smallest usable scraps. No, don't cut or iron them. Whoever gets 'em can do that when/if needed.

  16. #16
    Junior Member HapaMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Texoma Land
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by TanyaMas
    is there a difference between scraps and crumbs... i have a drawer full of scraps that just sit there accumulating...a lot are in strips or oddly shaped lol
    in order for them to be crumbs to send out, do they need to be ironed and cut to specific shapes or sizes?
    im rather horrible in the cutting dept. (tis why ive started buying more precut squares) lol
    Same here Tanya! Oddly shaped and small and a terrible cutter that's why I buy layer cakes, charm packs and jelly rolls :lol:

  17. #17
    Junior Member HapaMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Texoma Land
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by MegsAnn
    Quote Originally Posted by HapaMom
    Uhhhh, I've been throwing away anything smaller than 2" coz I just can't do anything that smal ... oops! Guess I'll save up and give away for the shipping. I'm working on a few projects right now and after reading this thread, still don't see what's the smallest size to save or do I just save it all?
    I can use anything as small as 1" square. So yeah, pretty small!
    WOW! Megs, that IS small! :-o Okay, thanks for the info, I'll save'em :)

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    474
    I just finished a quilt for my neighbor, who wanted a quilt on fishing, just this morning I was wondering what I would do with the left over pieces. anybody who wants them, let me know. like others I don't cut to well.

  19. #19
    a regular here MegsAnn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,341
    I pm'd you amalia64.

  20. #20
    Super Member sewcrafty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,958
    Any other little crumbs left I can use 1.5 - 2".

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Keene, New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    If you send a envelope full, it would probably be cheaper to go media mail.
    If you send a box full, you might want to check out the flat rate boxes from the post office.
    the P.O. only allows books and bound magazines (although I cheat on that) for a media mail.
    I just bought the $4+ boxes to send some fabrics to Board members - much smaller than I'd expected. I'm sending fabric to 5 women, so the next size up is too much - c.$10.

  22. #22
    Super Member nwm50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,316
    I sent out 3 large manila envelope 9x10? and it cost more on media mail than the 4.90 white cardboard envelope for the same size. So with crumbs...i think this is the better deal unless you use the 6x9 manila envelope, should run around 2.50 or so.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.