Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Best way to package a quilt to give? >
  • Best way to package a quilt to give?

• Best way to package a quilt to give?

Old 02-03-2018, 10:29 AM

I have read NEVER to put a quilt, or anything good in a trash bag. IF the box or outer wrapping gets damaged and the item ends up just in the bag....well....it LOOKS like trash. This sounds like good advice to me.
    Old 02-03-2018, 10:50 AM
    Power Poster

I would also caution against an opaque trash/garbage bag. I got a box of clear trash bags and when I need to ship or store I use one so you can see the contents. I have used several of the gifting ideas above: totes, pillowcases, just a ribbon. You can also get a large handled gift bag at the $ store.
    Old 02-04-2018, 01:26 AM

The caution about the trash bag is a good one. When I use a trash bag, I always put a "from" label with my name and address, and a "to" label with the name and address of the person to whom the quilt is being shipped inside the package. . It is always wise to include labels indicating from whom the package was sent and indicating to whom the package is being shipped inside the box, preferably secured to the wrapping or in my situation, the plastic bag. I do not use black trash bags for this purpose. (Bold and underlined text used for emphasis, and is not intended as a shout.)

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 02-04-2018 at 01:28 AM. Reason: correction
    Old 02-04-2018, 06:09 AM

I like the idea of a presentation box - looks all pretty with a great surprise inside!

I may be over thinking this but I do worry that if the box is not made of "acid free" paper and if the tissue used is not "acid free" that the receiver may keep it in the box and over time it may damage the fabric. Same with a wooden crate or box. Many of my receivers are not "fabric-wise" and will not know that damage can result from the chemicals in the container/box.
    Old 02-04-2018, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz
    The caution about the trash bag is a good one. When I use a trash bag, I always put a "from" label with my name and address, and a "to" label with the name and address of the person to whom the quilt is being shipped inside the package. . It is always wise to include labels indicating from whom the package was sent and indicating to whom the package is being shipped inside the box, preferably secured to the wrapping or in my situation, the plastic bag. I do not use black trash bags for this purpose. (Bold and underlined text used for emphasis, and is not intended as a shout.)
    As far as my gifting in a trash bag,,,,I understand your concern. My afghans were never in a trash bag more than a few hours and in my possession ALL OF THE TIME...either in the car as we were driving to a Christmas celebration or in my family room under the Christmas tree. I do not send quits or afghans...heard too many stories on this board about losing them. These things are BIG--maybe 3 feet x 4 feet when all folded up!
    Old 02-06-2018, 07:45 AM

I usually purchase a recyclable bag at Marshall or TJX that either coordinates in color or is a subject that the recipient would like. Saves on wrapping paper.