Charity Giving -

Old 05-13-2018, 10:37 AM

This has been an interesting read - the issue one I have been pondering myself. Our quilting group used to sew lap blankets for nursing home residents, but I saw so many items disappear when my mother in law was in a nursing home, I wondered if they did all that much good for the intended recipients. And I've made several quilts for my grandchildren, but they just love the plush fluffy blankets in the new synthetic materials, so hate to be wasting my time making more for them when they are not really the needed or chosen blankets. I've donated to the foster kids, but wonder if they feel the same way. Hubby and I don't need more for sure. I still love the fabric and fun of quilting, but am starting to feel way out of date!! Anyway, I'm not stopping anytime soon, but am rethinking my expenditure of time and who it's really helping (probably mostly ME and some idea of being as good as my grandmothers were)

And yes - I am aware of the plethora of used clothing these days, and that we need to rethink our charitable priorities. Interesting link this.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:00 AM

JoyjoyMarie, you said what I have been thinking, about kids liking the fuzzy plush acrylic fabric more than quilt fabric. And just because we give a quilt we made with love to be given to a foster child, that child has no connection to us, and may have learned that nothing is permanent and someone will probably take that quilt away from him, or the foster parents may keep it when they are moved again.
I understand, too, that anything donated to a nursing home becomes fair game. Even my own dad got into a tussle with another resident when he thought they had stolen his cap. My mother's hand made (by me) necklace ended up around someone else's neck.
So I eventually get to the point of trying to determine what would be the best use of the quilts I make. A lot of hours, money and thought goes into them. They are not the same value to me as a plush throw I can buy at Walmart for 4.99. But they may be, for the recipient; even less, if the colors are not to the recipient's liking.

I'm getting a pile of finished quilts; I'm going to have to find a satisfactory way of getting rid of them.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Quilts of Valor
Project Linus
local dialysis center
local cancer treatment center
fire department (if they have the storage for them). if they can support the idea they can give the quilts to families whose homes are damaged or destroyed.
local group foster homes

recipients there i know, for sure, will appreciate them. the [Linus] kids might not understand but their parents do.

the medical treatment facilities keep the temperatures low so patients who don't have or didn't bring a blanket are uncomfortably cold while they're hooked up to the medicines/machines.

those are just a few ideas.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:33 PM

When my MIL was in a nursing home my SIL wound up buying 60 pairs of underwear for her. She shared a room, when the aides needed underwear for the other woman, they would take it out of MIL's drawer. Nothing is sacred in a nursing home.
Old 05-13-2018, 03:29 PM

I belong to two guilds. Our community quilts are made from donated fabric and long-armed by a member for free. We donate to victims of local catastrophes--like fire and flood. We also donate to the local youth shelter. In many cases the incoming person has very little to call one's own. To be able to choose something can be a huge motivator to improve one's life. We also donate baby quilts to a local teen-aged parenting class. Unfortunately, there are too many 'kids raising kids' in our area. The quilts are graduation presents to the moms and babies.

As to monetary donations--War Amps!! Our DGD was born missing the lower half of her right arm. The Champs program with War Amps has been a amazing help both emotionally and financially. Our 6 year old DGD rides a mountain bike, swims like a fish, takes gymnastic classes and will be playing hockey in autumn--all thanks to War Amps paying for the necessary prostheses. She is an amazing little girl whose world has no limits thanks to War Amps!!
Old 05-13-2018, 05:56 PM

I mostly do QOV but, once in awhile, a local cause will move me and I will donate quilts. In the US, all non-profits are required by law to publically post previous year tax returns. Each non-profit has a website and sometimes they hide them (small print at bottom of screen) but I can usually hunt them down. Tax returns reflect money received and an itemized list of expenses, including salaries. Wounded Warriors was one I thought about giving to but when I researched them, less than 10% was going to needy services. Mostly labor and marketing. Made me sick. St Jude is one I give to now mostly because families pay nothing for care.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Teen
I mostly do QOV but, once in awhile, a local cause will move me and I will donate quilts. In the US, all non-profits are required by law to publically post previous year tax returns. Each non-profit has a website and sometimes they hide them (small print at bottom of screen) but I can usually hunt them down. Tax returns reflect money received and an itemized list of expenses, including salaries. Wounded Warriors was one I thought about giving to but when I researched them, less than 10% was going to needy services. Mostly labor and marketing. Made me sick. St Jude is one I give to now mostly because families pay nothing for care.
I had to look up about Wounded Warriors, on Charity Navigator, and did not get the same results. CN shows they spend over 70% on their programs.

I think you do best with small local charities. Your local food pantry (they can use cash as well as food), local humane society, whatever. Sometimes when an animal hoarder is discovered it can overwhelm the resources of a small local H.S. , having to deal with dozens of animals at once, all needing vet care.

There is a great organization in VT that runs camps for people with all kinds of disabilities, and never charges anyone tuition. They have summer camps and ski camps (adaptive skiing). My friend's adult son goes, he has a brain injury.

If you do a little research you can find small charities anywhere. And you don't have to worry about some CEO making $500K a year off your donations.