Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Modern quilt...second guessing it... >
  • Modern quilt...second guessing it...

• Modern quilt...second guessing it...

Old 05-20-2018, 03:37 AM

Try rearranging the blocks. I love the colors (especially the greens) that you have chosen but they don't seem to be balanced as you have them. The suggestion of looking at it on point has merit, too. There's something about the on point arrangement that changes a quilt. I am a star person and these are so pretty and very nicely done. As to a border, this probably doesn't "need" one but I prefer a border to reduce handling/stress on the pieced blocks in time to come.
    Old 05-20-2018, 03:58 AM

I like your quilt a lot. But, I think you should ask your DIL about it. You asked her to help choose the pattern and fabric. She did that and chose something that she felt would be great in her new farm house. So, I am sure her input would be great about whether or not she would like borders added and what dimension they should be. Personally, I am warming up to the idea of no borders on quilts with large blocks. But, ask her.
    Old 05-20-2018, 04:48 AM

Try arranging from dark to light -say left lower corner to right upper corner......just a thought
    Old 05-20-2018, 05:08 AM

Your quilting skills shine, so that's not it. Another quilter told me (when I was having a similar problem to yours) to arrange the dark colors on the edges...top, bottom, then sides. Works! Place the four darkest...one in each corner. You might like that better.
    Old 05-20-2018, 05:39 AM

This quilt really speaks to me: modern contrast, with a somewhat traditional looking block--perfect for a modern farmhouse. I love it. I would add blocks rather than a border. How do you plan to quilt it?
    Old 05-20-2018, 05:41 AM

I made a quilt similar to this and shashed it with multi colored corner stones. Gives the quilt a small 'border'. I would upload a picture, but I'm not in the same location as the quilt.
    Old 05-20-2018, 05:51 AM
    anonymous

This may give you border/sashing ideas to give it more of a modern flavor. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/154107618472459713/

Old 05-20-2018, 06:30 AM
    Power Poster

Your star blocks are lovely. IMHO, I'd make more blocks, and also would not have a very light block in a corner. Just me.
    Old 05-20-2018, 06:31 AM

I think it’s lovely just as it is! I’ve made some quilts that were random in placement of colors, and I think it’s harder for me to like them because I lean toward symmetry. I’m not sure if that’s what bothers you, but I hope you overcome your doubts! It suits the house it’s going to!
    Old 05-20-2018, 06:41 AM

I don't see any with three colors. The green one has different prints but they are all the same color. My thoughts were sashing with corner stones and a border and/or on point. For on point you will need one more block. Good luck on whatever you decide.