Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Second guessing my colors >

Second guessing my colors

Second guessing my colors

Old 01-17-2011, 03:06 PM

I know some of you say choosing fabrics is your favorite part of quilting but i really find it rather difficult. i had to select 20 different fabrics for one quilt (browns, tans, greens and rusts) but now as i get ready to cut them out i'm second guessing myself again. There's nothing worse than spending a lot of time making a quilt then not liking the colors. I don't have any computerized pattern thingy where i can preview the colors before i sew them together. Do any of you have the same problem. Any tips on how to make this easier? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:10 PM

Can you take a picture with all the fabrics together? Stare at it awhile and see if anything sticks out that you don't like. Another thing I do is copy & paste pics into PowerPoint and try various ways of lining them up. For simple designs, I make the shapes in PowerPoint and "fill" them with a picture of the fabric rather than a solid color. It's not exact, but gives me a general idea about it.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

That is great advice :D:D:D
Old 01-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

I preview my fabrics by laying them out together (possibly confined to the size of the block) and then I look at the pile as I walk by periodically. If one of the fabrics is not a good match, it will jump out at you. Or you may see it in a different light .....

Your colors sound like they should be a perfect combination.

If you are worried about value and scale, take a black and white photocopy. It will take the "pretty" from color out of the equation.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM

That's why I mostly buy and use fabrics from one line. I'm not very confident in my fabric-combining skills.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:23 PM

I would either lay the fabrics out together and, as MadQuilter says, periodically walk by and glance at them. Or, make a sample block or two and do the same thing. If you just stare and stare at them, it gets confusing. So, passing glances and see what jumps out. Another thing I do is lay the fabrics out together and look at them from a good long distance. Not sure why, but this seems to work for me.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

One of my favorite parts of quilting is choosing fabrics. I would have difficulty with these colors though. A good thing would be to take a photo and post it asking for opinions.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

I use the camera on my mobile phone to view my fabric. Move fabric and view again. Don't even have to take a photo.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:21 PM

I doubt my judgement too. The previous tips sound good. I intend trying them.