Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Binding Tool Star Quilt Blocks >
  • Binding Tool Star Quilt Blocks

• Binding Tool Star Quilt Blocks

Old 10-05-2018, 04:58 AM
    Power Poster

yolajean, I'm going to buy that tool because I love yours so much! (all I need is another project haha)
    So, MSQC's is a bit shorter than your tool, correct? I have the wrong one- mine is really small.
    What a great pattern.
    Old 10-05-2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by yolajean
    Thank you for all of your kind and encouraging posts. It is the Binding Tool Star quilt pattern from MissouriStarQuiltCompany (MSQC). Having said that, I have had problems (all of them mine) with this pattern. 1) I used a binding tool that was 8 3/8 long (MSQC binding tool is 8 1/2" long). Had to cut my square piece down to fit my strip pieces. No problem. 2) The hypotenuse of my 1/2 square triangles were not long enough. I recut my squares so that the angles would fit my pieces. 3) The first 4 blocks turned out beautiful and I thought I was doing fine. However, when I finished my 5th block and put it up on my design wall, the triangles are too large and the pattern does not fit correctly. 4) I (finally) measured the width of my strips and found that they are 2 5/8 inches wide rather than 2 1/2. This, I believe, is why the correct 1/2 square triangles were too short.

I love this pattern and am determined to finish this quilt. My fix is to finish the blocks, sew them together and then add bias tape (made from the navy blue fabric) and sew it along the 1/2 square triangles. As shown in the photo below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]602059[/ATTACH]
    Thanks for the picture. It is so pretty. I have enough squares put together to do this.
    Old 10-05-2018, 07:32 AM
    Power Poster

there are two sizes. 8 1/2 long and the shorter one. the long one is for this particular pattern.
    Old 10-07-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    yolajean, I'm going to buy that tool because I love yours so much! (all I need is another project haha)
    So, MSQC's is a bit shorter than your tool, correct? I have the wrong one- mine is really small.
    What a great pattern.
    SusieQOH! The MSWC Binding Tool is 8 1/2" long and is the proper binding tool for this quilt.
    Old 10-12-2018, 10:50 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks, yolajean! I ordered it today. Can't wait to make it !!!!!!! Yours is so awesome