Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A whole new spin on  laundry - no rinse - delicate wash for your quilts and wool mats >

A whole new spin on laundry - no rinse - delicate wash for your quilts and wool mats

A whole new spin on laundry - no rinse - delicate wash for your quilts and wool mats

Old 12-14-2018, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Eucalan is a good product. Comparable to Woolite, except you can't use Woolite on wool. Go figure. Euclan is great for washing yarn too. And a bit less expensive at WM.

My takeaway: I should Really be appreciating my 20 yr old top loading washer much more than I have been. After all the washer comments on QB lately, I'm in no hurry to replace it! Fingers crossed it lasts another 20 yrs. Like old wine and old cars.

My thoughts, exactly! I'm beginning to hate computerized appliances that you can't work around. No wonder the world seems to be getting dumber; too many products doing our thinking.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:16 AM

Wow, these comments have me hoping, too, that my old style washer last forever. The new type washer sounds way too complicated for me.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

FYI...anyone wanting an old "Maytag" type washer, look to Speed Queen. Made in USA since 1908! After a couple of front loaders that were problems and lots of money down the drain, I decided to check this brand out. They've been around for years. My plain Jane machine does the job for me. Often times have smaller loads with just the two of us and I can used any level of water I need.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Read somewhere maybe further up on this thread that speed queen has changed since 2017 and people are trying to find older ones.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Two words: Speed Queen.

100% Agree, two words, Speed Queen. I absolutely love my Speed Queen, it's now two maybe three years old.

Selling our home and needing a new machine for our home that was being built I needed to purchase appliances, washer was brand new Sears Kenmore Elite (Maytag made for Sears) top loading HE machine. There are just two of us, so no heavy duty use so to speak. It lasted just two years we had to call repair four times during that time.

Speed Queen has mechanical dials, (no computer brains to fail) top loading, nothing fancy, really a plain Jane but I've never thought 'looks' matter in the laundry room :0). I choose water levels, how long soak cycles are etc. I don't find Speed Queen noisy, it's not on a concrete pad, the laundry room is above my sewing room and I only hear water being drained, in fact my gas dryer is noisier on tumble cycle.

Edited to say, like Alyce "Stitchripper" that we were told that the EPA was regulating water levels for washing machines and indeed since we bought ours you may not be able to adjust water levels. I can fill my washer and leave the lid up which allows me to stop the cycle.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 12-15-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:46 AM

Like mindless I have used Eucalan for knitted sweaters and it is a great product.
Like others, I hate my front loader and can't wait for it to die and get a Speed Queen.
Old 12-15-2018, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post

100% Agree, two words, Speed Queen. I absolutely love my Speed Queen, it's now two maybe three years old.

Selling our home and needing a new machine for our home that was being built I needed to purchase appliances, washer was brand new Sears Kenmore Elite (Maytag made for Sears) top loading HE machine. There are just two of us, so no heavy duty use so to speak. It lasted just two years we had to call repair four times during that time.

Speed Queen has mechanical dials, (no computer brains to fail) top loading, nothing fancy, really a plain Jane but I've never thought 'looks' matter in the laundry room :0). I choose water levels, how long soak cycles are etc. I don't find Speed Queen noisy, it's not on a concrete pad, the laundry room is above my sewing room and I only hear water being drained, in fact my gas dryer is noisier on tumble cycle.

Edited to say, like Alyce "Stitchripper" that we were told that the EPA was regulating water levels for washing machines and indeed since we bought ours you may not be able to adjust water levels. I can fill my washer and leave the lid up which allows me to stop the cycle.

Yes to everything in my experience...even sewing room below the laundry room! Oh, no gas dryer though. I love the Soak cycle...but that's because MrOK is a dairy farmer and well let's just say his clothes get very dirty...hot water, detergent and soaking gets the yuk out!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Read somewhere maybe further up on this thread that speed queen has changed since 2017 and people are trying to find older ones.
i believe it no longer has a transmission, which could make it quieter. I would definitely look for last year's model, but failing that, would research online to see if there is a well-established way to bypass the water level issue. A dealer might even tell you, to make the sale.

charlotte
Old 12-15-2018, 05:39 PM

Interesting info on the Speed Queens. Where do you buy them? Doing a remodel of kitchen, one bathroom, laundry room (and can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel!), I looked at a lot of appliances and never saw a SQ.

FYI - I LOVE my front loaders, having had it for 16 years before it just recently stopped working. Never had a bit of trouble with it, including the infamous "smells" that many complain of. I don't know if its' bc I do a load of whites with bleach every week (am I the only person in the world who still bleaches towels?) and never shut the door after use.

If you are looking at top loaders as a replacement, ask a lot of questions! DD has a Maytag that I detest. Have been living w/ her while remodel was happening at home, and nannying for grandsons. That thing is so deep that I have my feet off the floor to get to the bottom (at 5'6", I'm average!) and stinks to high heaven. There is so little water used that things are not always clean when they come out, and it is really tough on fabric - and would be tough on quilts, too! While I don't know the model name, it is a model without an agitator.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:53 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Yes

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer/

The machines changed for 2018 and beyond and NOT in a good way...