Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Truth Behind Sewing Machines: Reality On True Sewing Machine Features 4 Quilt/Sew >

The Truth Behind Sewing Machines: Reality On True Sewing Machine Features 4 Quilt/Sew

The Truth Behind Sewing Machines: Reality On True Sewing Machine Features 4 Quilt/Sew

Old 09-23-2019, 01:56 PM

I have a Pfaff and Bernina that do fancy stitches, but prefer to quilt on my vintage Singer 99Ks or 201s. I like the vintage machines because they are simple to maintain at home, get the job done well, and are just plain fun to sew on.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:59 PM

My experience and thought process is very similar to yours. So much so I won't even go in depth as it would pretty much be a repeat of your post. The only difference is a few specialty stitches achieved by a vintage cam model.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:10 PM

I am a sewing machine freak and have machines ranging from an early 20th century hand crank to an Ellisimo Gold. I love some of my vintage machines, but since I bought the Ellisimo I haven't used the others very much. There is a Kenmore 18023 that I turn to when I'm going to do a lot of straight sewing, just to save wear and tear on the more expensive machines. The Kenmore is an excellent machine for it's time, but I don't do FM on it because, although it has every attachment ever made for it, that does not include a darning foot because of the peculiar design of the super high shank style. The main reason I use it instead of my mom's old Elna or the 1972 Bernina 830 or the Featherweight, etc. is because the Kenmore happens to be in a wonderful cabinet in a very accessible location. I ought to cut back on my collection because my heirs will not be happy having to deal with them all. Computerized machines spoiled me with features like the needle threader and being able to adjust the needle position in tiny increments. The Ellisimo can fill a bobbin while I'm sewing. I bought it used and have put many hours of additional sewing and embroidery on it. I added 10 million stitches in about the first year and a half, and the only problem I've had is thread lock from when a thread broke and recoiled into some moving parts. This can be a problem on something that makes 1000 stitches per minute. Maintenance is expensive, but I'll part with it when they pry it out of my cold dead fingers (or if I get a newer model someday).
Old 09-24-2019, 04:00 AM

For piecing, I don't have a lot of desire for the computerized functions, and sew on a straight stitch industrial that is so much better than any of the vintage machines I've sewn on (and that is a lot). With the servo motor the control is fantastic and it's got so much adjustment to the feeding system that you can get it to feed anything very well. it also came with a big table and a longer arm.

And I wouldn't even attempt to quilt without my LA - I'd have given it up long ago without that option. '

I started out in garment construction and did custom made lingerie for many years back in the 80's. When I decided to look for a new "all purpose" machine I discovered that nothing under $5,000 would sew with the quality I expected - compared with my Viking that was bought in 1981. That machine cost over $1,000 back then, so not a cheap machine!

I read so often about people having trouble with borders stretching, or problems sewing on bias, or needing to pin or starch or glue to keep fabric from slipping around while sewing - and on mid weight woven cotton! There are tricks to work around a machine that doesn't feed all that well, and many people think those are normal and don't expect more from their machines. These are problems I rarely have, and I attribute that to having machines that feed very well.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:09 AM

I learned to sew on a yard-sale special, a heavy duty off-brand machine from circa 1970 that probably came out of some school's home ec room. It had more than its fair share of problems, but it taught me how to piece and could straight line quilt very small projects. I used to get so frustrated with its limitations...and the lack of a good repairman to fix it.

I also have a vintage treadle that sews a prettier straight stitch than my other two machines, but it is not a singer and I am having a hard time finding the proper sewing foot to try quilting on it. It is such a joy to sew on that I have every intention of making it my primary machine, once I find someone who knows what they are doing on the old treadles to fix the few small issues it has and find the brand's equivalent of a free motion foot.

My mother recently bought me a new computerized singer machine as an early christmas gift, and using it made me realize just how bad the old thing I learned to sew on really was. It's not nearly as fancy as a big expensive machine, but it has everything I wanted on it. A needle threader, needle up/down button, automatic tension, and variable speed. It also has the zig zag stitch, a buttonhole option, and a few fancy stitches for when I teach myself how to sew clothes or want to play with my quilting.

Between the treadle and the basic electronic machine, I can do everything I want to do. I paid $50 for the treadle, and the electric machine cost about $200. The only issue I have with them is throat space, but I am patient enough to work around that. It might take me twice as long to quilt something with all the stopping and positioning, but I get it done. If I upgrade at all, it will probably be to a sit down mid-arm machine. I would love to play with a long arm....but I am not buying a new house just for a sewing machine!
Old 09-24-2019, 10:12 AM

I have 2 Featherweights, 3 Janomes, a hand crank Singer, and a mid-arm quilter by Bailey. (I bought a Singer and a Brother $100+ machine from Walmart for my granddaughters...altogether different quality of stitching. Now I wish I'd bought a small Janome for them both.) All of mine are mechanical and do everything I've ever needed. I've made prom dresses, wedding dresses, costumes, and I don't know how many quilts and table toppers and runners, etc. I like being able to work on my own machines; although, I have had very very few problems with any of them...usually operator error. If I had a machine which took mega bucks to buy and more bucks to add attachments it would take some of the pleasure out of sewing for me as my budget is not unlimited. I do have needle up and down and a few other things I never used to have, but I really don't mind threading my own needle or lifting my needle or cutting the threads even though some of these machines have those capabilities. I use them but wouldn't die if I had to do without them. I think whatever your budget can manage without putting you in a position where you HAVE to get your money's worth out of your purchase is a good choice for you. My machines are either vintage or newer than 15 years old. I don't think of them as being disposable. (I do agree with some of the remarks about appliances. Don't get me started! Ha)
Old 09-24-2019, 12:33 PM

I totally agree with you. The machine I purchased in about 1975 from Sears is still going strong and it's the one I use the most and for the most reasons. It has never been professionally serviced, has never given me a problem. It has about 60 extra stitches and about half of those are "stretch" stitches. It also has 2 alphabet fonts. Like my 25 year old iron, nothing fancy but lasting. The expensive irons that cost over $100 always seem to break down, and the sewing machines that cost several hundred dollars also seem very fragile with short life spans.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:06 PM

I love love love love my Ellisimo. I bought it 10 years ago and have never had any problems with it, I love the embroidery feature, what fun it is to create the beautiful works of art. I use many different stitches on this wonderful work horse. Its had several upgrades to an Ellisimo II plus. A camera feature is wonderful on the embroidery that is done. I've pieced and quilted hours on this beautiful machine.

I also have two machines from my mom that I use constantly. One is in a blonde cabinet and is a 1950 something singer. I do a lot of scrap quilts with this one. Beautiful stitching. Another is a portable 1960 plus Viking Husqvarna that I take to classes or retreats. It's an absolutely great machine.

I had a Kenmore that was a complete lemon, used it for making kids clothes when it worked, also a machine that cost me $500 30 years ago that was supposed to be great and wonderful it was not. Gave it away with warnings. Also I had another one that was very frustrating to sew on. Gave that away too and suggested they just get rid of it.

I quilted and sewed with a portable garage sale special costing $25 for years which sat on a card table in a corner. A wonderful find and a beautiful little number. Can't remember what kind it was. I wore it out. Loved it.

I believe most machines are good and once in a while there are lemons. I am enjoying the heck out of what I have now and they are all so different from each other. So my advice is to not pigeon hole any of the machines into categories of good or bad or whatever. Just find what works for you and what you can enjoy. My experiences have been all over the place. I am absolutely in love with this craft and hobby we have to enjoy and I'm so grateful for the opportunity to pick and choose what can make it so wonderful for us.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:46 AM

Things are not made to last today...My over the stove new 2 yr old GE microwave is making strange noises and doesn't heat unless left in there a long time...Did research and reviews said "beware of this model it catches fire"..."wonderful" We bought a second home with a HVAC system that still works but is 27 yrs old and really not efficient...HVAC guy who came to give ests on new said new stuff made to last 10-12 yrs...
Now re:machines I started out with SE Husq Viking and it still works and I use all the bells and whistles...I'm spoiled.
It all depends on what you want to do. I have progressed from quilts to art quilts so all those stitches come in handy.
I recently decided to upgrade and treat myself to their Epic which connects to WiFi...pricey but again worth it to me for all it does. I do allot of embroidery currently making a second family history quilt. These machines have the capability of taking a photo and translate it into stitches. I did my first on the SE. So I'm a Husq buyer and wouldn't pay for me to switch since I have too much invested in software/hoops etc...I do collect and use vintage singers and they come in handy when I have others come to play in my sewing rm.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-25-2019 at 05:47 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-04-2020, 11:21 AM

This is a good thread to revive. Now that lots of people have bought machines to make masks, the price of some machines has gone up. My fancier stitch Brother CX155LA was great until a bearing froze and it no longer can turn the needle. I know because I can see it. I took my machine apart because our service repairman has been inundated with repair jobs and won't take any new jobs until August (maybe). My machine had been put to good use making lots of quilts for kids, pillow covers, etc. Sadly, it seized up after only 2 years. Watching repair videos on YouTube helped me see what's wrong. I don't think it would be worth paying for the service call plus parts, since my machine cost less than $200. Disposable machines make me sad too because I really loved sewing on this model.

Fortunately, I have two mechanical machines that still work. My Janome jw5622 has been working since 2016. My Fashion Mate 237 Singer (bought new in 1969) still runs like a champ and has all metal gears. It weighs 32 pounds and was built in Italy. I'm dithering about getting another electronic machine because I so loved the needle down, speed control, and serpentine stitch.

Right now, the only machines available locally are Berninas which I consider too expensive for my budget. My Baby Lock dealer has sold out all machines which cost less than $2,500. They say September they might get more machines in. Online is the option left or wait until the fall.

Last edited by RavenBlack; 07-04-2020 at 11:25 AM.