Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should We Expect Others To Love Our Quilts Also? >

Should We Expect Others To Love Our Quilts Also?

Should We Expect Others To Love Our Quilts Also?

Old 02-02-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Justok
I would never tell someone I didn't like a project they did. You can always find something nice to say. I figure they must be proud of it or they wouldn't show it to you.

No, they don't have to love my quilts, but a little recognition is always nice.
What is that beautiful butterfly pattern on your avatar. It lloks like something for Marliyn Doheny.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
When I make a quilt for someone, I go to great extremes to use the colors they like, as well as a theme or pattern that best fits their personality/lifestyle. But I totally understand if they don't hang in their living room! After all, quilts originated for beds! We have several quilts in our bedroom--that keep us very warm, but do nothing for our decor.
Love the quilt on your avatar! Is there a pattern or is it original?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by marty_mo
We search for the right fabric, the right pattern and put many hours into the creation of a quilt that we are so proud to give to a beloved or a friend. Just because we put so much time and energy into a project, should we expect someone to feel the same about the quilt that we do? An associate is unhappy that the quilt that she gave to a family member is not appreciated the way she felt it should be appreciated nor is it on display in their home. Who knows the reason the quilt was not displayed or being used but when she showed the quilt to us there was mixed responses. I for one loved the pattern and her quilting was wonderful but HATED the color combination but of course I would never tell her that, I mentioned the things about the quilt that I liked and congratulated her on completing the project. She is really upset over the lack of appreciative responses.

Two questions:

Would you tell someone if you didn't like their efforts (me no way)? And second, should we expect others to love our quilts just because we do?
I think everyone should be appreciative of a gift, but all of us have received gifts we didn't care for, so we can't really expect someone to continually pretend to love something if they don't.
I'd hope someone who received my quilt would not openly speak ill of it, or destroy it, but saving that, a gift belongs to the person you give it to, so choose carefully!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Banned

People are very ungrateful if they do not appreciate the thought behind the gift AND the work that went into it --- please tell her to send her quilts my way!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM

When I make a quilt I do it with love. Once it is given away my job is done. The receivers job is to accept it gracefully. If they don't, they haven't done their job. Their job is not your responsibility. You have done your job with love. Keep on quilting and giving and one of these days someone will get a quilt with such joy you will remember forever. Been there.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 AM

if you love something let it go.... I too think all quilts are special and i know the effort and skill it takes to make one but think what we are leaving behind. I'v seen many very old quilts with no name or date and i wonder what the womens life was like and how she felt about her quilt not only while she was working on it , but when she freely gave it away.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

The quilts I have designed for my kids/family/friends will have to reflect each of their tastes, and be made for the use they will get, or they will sit in their closets or be given away. I KNOW this, so if I don't make something to their liking I can't be upset if it isn't used.
My likes are so different from someone else's, although I love and appreciate each and every gift ever given me...who hasn't at one point thought "what were they thinking" LOL... so when I am going to put this much time, money and effort into a quilt, I make sure that it is exactly what the recipient will enjoy :D:D:D
Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 AM

I quilt because I enjoy the process--- it is my hobby. If I give the result of my hobby, a quilt, to someone else, then I can't expect them to have the same level of enjoyment that I derived from quilting.

My MIL has painted porcelain objects for 40 years. She gives every one in our family Christmas ornaments, Easter eggs, and other painted objects every year. I have no guilt in saying a heart-felt thank you each time, without an obligation to display them all. I choose my favorites and pack the rest away, otherwise my house would be dominated by her paintings, which are not my taste.

She chooses to continue painting things even though she can see that I don't put all of them out. As long as DH doesn't ask me to display his mom's work, then I won't.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:22 PM

I look at it as I'm making something that will be given away, either tomorrow, next week, next year, next decade, etc...

Even if my creations ends up at Goodwill someday, they are something I made and left behind, even if no one even knows who I am. Someone, sometime, somewhere will find enjoyment and hopefully find comfort in looking at them, or receive warmth from them.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:44 PM

I totally agree as to many different tastes for different people. I recently made a quilt with lots of different polka dot cats on it. There was one fabric I almost didn't use because I wasn't that crazy about it. Two people have since told me that they like that print the best of all in that quilt - go figure!