Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Kit or Yardage? >

Quilt Kit or Yardage?

Quilt Kit or Yardage?

Old 02-13-2010, 03:45 PM

i have bought 2 or 3 kits..large ones,a few years back and loved them.
then i found connection threads and i had bought more kits last year..i love kits..some were crib size,some were wall hangings, some minitures..sometimes it is a break to not have to "think" on the fabrics i would like to use..lol!
Old 02-13-2010, 03:49 PM

I've purchased kits just because I like the fabric - got one last week for a queen size with almost 20 yards of Moda fabrics (none less than 1/2 yard) on sale for $60. I will more than likely use the fabric in different projects.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:31 PM

I have bought several kits with fabric that I absolutly love. I've gotten them on sale and it is less than if I bought the yardage. Once in a while I will make the pattern that comes with it, but mostly I use it in a different pattern. I, too, like to look at pictures of quilts and make my own pattern from them.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:27 PM

I usually buy the yardage. I'm always afraid that if I make a mistake in the cutting - which happens on a regular basis - I won't have enough fabric.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Karen's Kreations
I usually buy the yardage. I'm always afraid that if I make a mistake in the cutting - which happens on a regular basis - I won't have enough fabric.
In the kits that I have bought from my lqs, there is always enough fabric to cover a mistake in cutting, unless it is humungeous. The only place that I have ordered kits is from Keepsake Quilting.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:56 PM

I've never bought a kit, I like to pick my own fabric for my projects!
Old 02-13-2010, 06:30 PM

I DON'T WANT TO BUY THE KITS CAUSE I DON'T WANT MINE THE SAME AS 100 MORE KITS OUT THERE. i LIKE FOR IT TO BE MY OWN COLORS AND MY TRANSLATION OF THE PATTERN.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:14 PM

I usually get just the Fabric. But I have signed up for 2 block of the months to give it a try. I also have 4 kits waiting for me to get to them. They were given to me as gifts.
I just have to have more hours in the day. I had all these great plans when we retired I was going to get so much done.
Ha Ha it has been 10 years and I think I got more done when I was working full time . I think it was because I had to and now I can go as I want so guess what ? I have a terrible time getting anything done. kjym Kathy
Old 02-13-2010, 07:20 PM

I like kits. Wish I had only bought kits in the past, maybe I wouldn't have so much fabric (stash) which seems overwhelming at times.

Kits are great when you live out in the middle of no where and can't just run to LQS to pick up something you forgot. And if you don't get to the project for a looooong while and you run out of something you are in a mess.

I like kits.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:37 PM

I prefer the yardage.